Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Impact of Unwanted Variables on Performance

Hi All,

We are facing performance issue in our application of around 5GB.

While analysing, expressions, variables, if statements, we found that there are around 15 unwanted variables along with nested If-else and Pick Match along with colormix formula.

Can anyone please tell me that whether the Unwanted Variables has any impact on Performance.

Please let me know your comments on same.

Thanks & Regards,

MK

7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

gwassenaar‌, mby‌,

Any comments on above query.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Unwanted variables may have a substantial impact on performance as they will be recalculated all the time and you clearly do not want that. Unused variables IMHO have no impact at all.

BTW be a little more patient. Most of these high-profile community members have a paying job and no strict obligation to be on-line at any time. Someone will pick up your question sooner or later, as you can see now...

swuehl
MVP
MVP

MK, just for clarification, could you elaborate what you mean with 'unwanted' variable, especially compared to an 'unused' variable?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

it should be unused variables.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your reply.

In between  what is IMHO.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

AFAIK = As Far As I Know

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

BTW = By The Way

PFA = Please Find Attachment

FYI = For Your Information

and others can be found here: Internet Slang

There is a very extensive list of all acronyms on Wikipedia: List of acronyms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're right, I'm sorry. I shouldn't be using these. But it saves me some time when typing a reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

First, unused fields/variables should have little to none impact on performance, but only when the hardware is adequately "sized".

Do remember that QlikView is a "in-memory" tool, and once you open your application, most or all of your data will be loaded into memory.

A good rule of thumb should be that once you have created your app, remove all unused and unneeded data.

Second, if's in expressions should changed to use set analysis as far as possible. Set analysis reduces the amount of data inside the QlikView Engine, while if's are evaluating each row in the total dataset "outside" the QlikView Engine - from what I know this actually is done client side by javascript, which is MUCH slower (I could be wrong on my last statement, but it IS must slower).

Hope this helps!