Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Incremental Load Query

I want to apply incremental load in a SAP table named BSEG_ADD ,it don't have primary key field .I have to implement the incremental using composite key.As per SAP team ,they have given me list of fields, which we can use  as primary key.

But the problem is that some of their fields(which i have to use as a primary key), have text value and some include number value.

What do to ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Your colleague is wrong. You need a primary key and usually a field that has something like a modification timestamp or a version number. The data type of the primary key is irrelevant. If you only add new records then the primary key alone suffices. Perhaps this blog post helps: http://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/qlikview-incremental-load/

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Simply concatenate the values from the two fields to create a unique field. You can do this in an sql statement or in a Qlikivew load statement:

LOAD *, FieldA & '|' FieldB as Key;

SQL SELECT * FROM BSEG_ADD;

Not applicable
Author

will incremental load  work with alphanumeric

or

Not applicable
Author

I have already done the same thing , but one of colleague told me that if i am using composite key and it include alpha numeric values it won't work with incremental load or never give the correct result

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Your colleague is wrong. You need a primary key and usually a field that has something like a modification timestamp or a version number. The data type of the primary key is irrelevant. If you only add new records then the primary key alone suffices. Perhaps this blog post helps: http://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/qlikview-incremental-load/

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I agree with Gysbert - the data type is largely irrelevant, but incremental loading is much simpler if the key has some ordinal characteristic such as a date, or a row ID that increments. It can be numerically ordinal (1, 2, 3...) or alphanumerically ordinal (A1, A2, B1, C1, C2, ...)

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Gysbert It worked

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Jonathan