cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
victagbc
Contributor II
Contributor II

Invalid Dimension error ?

I am fairly new and not sure why I get error Invalid Dimension for this expression in my table when I have others similar working.

=Sum({<Group={'CG'},TS = {'QS'},PCat = {'Premium'}>}Revenue) + Sum({<Group={'CG'},brand = {'Services'}>}Revenue)+ Sum({<Group={'CG'},brand = {'Wks'}>}Revenue) + Sum({<Group={'CG'},brand = {'Options'}>}Revenue) / Sum({<Group={'CG'}>}Revenue

If there is a better way to write this as well I am eager to learn.

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Are you using that as a measure or as a dimension? If you try to use it as a dimension I understand why you get an error. An expression can only return one result. A simple sum(something) cannot be used as a dimension. You need to specify one or more fields that need to be used to calculated the sums over. For that you need to use the Aggr function: Aggr(sum(Revenue), MyDimension1, MyDimension2, ... etc).

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Great. Glad you got it sorted. Could you mark a post as the solution? That makes it easier for other users to find solutions to their questions.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
m_woolf
Master II
Master II

Since you are adding four expressions, I would try each individual expression to see which one causes the error.

If that fails, you might try using rangesum instead of +.

Now i see the division.

Do you really mean to do:

Sum({<Group={'CG'},brand = {'Options'}>}Revenue) / Sum({<Group={'CG'}>}Revenue

Or did you want the four expressions summed first and then divide?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

There was a missing closing parenthesis at the end of the expression:

=Sum({<Group={'CG'},TS = {'QS'},PCat = {'Premium'}>}Revenue) + Sum({<Group={'CG'},brand = {'Services'}>}Revenue)+ Sum({<Group={'CG'},brand = {'Wks'}>}Revenue) + Sum({<Group={'CG'},brand = {'Options'}>}Revenue) / Sum({<Group={'CG'}>}Revenue )

victagbc
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

So I think maybe the expression may not be the issue as I tried just Sum({<Group={'CG'}>}Revenue) and still get the error, even though I have this expression in another column where it works without error.  If I change the expression to just =Revenue the error is gone.

victagbc
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Sorry that was in my real expression just didnt paste over.
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Are you using that as a measure or as a dimension? If you try to use it as a dimension I understand why you get an error. An expression can only return one result. A simple sum(something) cannot be used as a dimension. You need to specify one or more fields that need to be used to calculated the sums over. For that you need to use the Aggr function: Aggr(sum(Revenue), MyDimension1, MyDimension2, ... etc).

victagbc
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks so much, built it as a measure and it works.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Great. Glad you got it sorted. Could you mark a post as the solution? That makes it easier for other users to find solutions to their questions.