Qlik Community

Ask a Question

QlikView App Dev

Discussion Board for collaboration related to QlikView App Development.

Announcements
Support Case Portal will move to Qlik Community Oct 4. Temporary case outage Oct 3. READ DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
victagbc
Contributor II
Contributor II

Invalid Dimension error ?

I am fairly new and not sure why I get error Invalid Dimension for this expression in my table when I have others similar working.

=Sum({<Group={'CG'},TS = {'QS'},PCat = {'Premium'}>}Revenue) + Sum({<Group={'CG'},brand = {'Services'}>}Revenue)+ Sum({<Group={'CG'},brand = {'Wks'}>}Revenue) + Sum({<Group={'CG'},brand = {'Options'}>}Revenue) / Sum({<Group={'CG'}>}Revenue

If there is a better way to write this as well I am eager to learn.

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Are you using that as a measure or as a dimension? If you try to use it as a dimension I understand why you get an error. An expression can only return one result. A simple sum(something) cannot be used as a dimension. You need to specify one or more fields that need to be used to calculated the sums over. For that you need to use the Aggr function: Aggr(sum(Revenue), MyDimension1, MyDimension2, ... etc).

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Great. Glad you got it sorted. Could you mark a post as the solution? That makes it easier for other users to find solutions to their questions.

7 Replies
m_woolf
Master II
Master II

Since you are adding four expressions, I would try each individual expression to see which one causes the error.

If that fails, you might try using rangesum instead of +.

Now i see the division.

Do you really mean to do:

Sum({<Group={'CG'},brand = {'Options'}>}Revenue) / Sum({<Group={'CG'}>}Revenue

Or did you want the four expressions summed first and then divide?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

There was a missing closing parenthesis at the end of the expression:

=Sum({<Group={'CG'},TS = {'QS'},PCat = {'Premium'}>}Revenue) + Sum({<Group={'CG'},brand = {'Services'}>}Revenue)+ Sum({<Group={'CG'},brand = {'Wks'}>}Revenue) + Sum({<Group={'CG'},brand = {'Options'}>}Revenue) / Sum({<Group={'CG'}>}Revenue )

victagbc
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

So I think maybe the expression may not be the issue as I tried just Sum({<Group={'CG'}>}Revenue) and still get the error, even though I have this expression in another column where it works without error.  If I change the expression to just =Revenue the error is gone.

victagbc
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Sorry that was in my real expression just didnt paste over.
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Are you using that as a measure or as a dimension? If you try to use it as a dimension I understand why you get an error. An expression can only return one result. A simple sum(something) cannot be used as a dimension. You need to specify one or more fields that need to be used to calculated the sums over. For that you need to use the Aggr function: Aggr(sum(Revenue), MyDimension1, MyDimension2, ... etc).

victagbc
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks so much, built it as a measure and it works.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Great. Glad you got it sorted. Could you mark a post as the solution? That makes it easier for other users to find solutions to their questions.