Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Is there a way to have an input field allow for multiple lines of text?

I've got some text fields that I'm reading into variables in order to save to a file (through a macro), but one of the customer requirements is to have a multi line text box to type notes into, and I can't seem to find a way to do that within QlikView. Can this be done within QlikView?

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nwBMOTDgnc:425:340]

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I had something similar once... So, I used a button that opened the text file where user typed any text, and reloaded. Text from that file was used in a text box.
I know it's not the same, but it was acceptable in that situation.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I don't know if it can be done. A while ago, I tried to figure it out, and was unable to. I'll be interested if anyone comes up with a way to do it.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks John. I'm guessing if you worked on it for awhile, its not easy to do. The only thing I can come up with is a possible custom object, but I'm not familiar enough with the custom objects to do this myself yet.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I had something similar once... So, I used a button that opened the text file where user typed any text, and reloaded. Text from that file was used in a text box.
I know it's not the same, but it was acceptable in that situation.

Not applicable
Author

Hey Michael,

Thanks for the idea; that's very creative. I like it. Did you launch a text editor for them to edit the file in?

Thanks!

Paul

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Paul,
The button launched notepad, and opend the file. Actually this application had three or four launch buttons, each opened notepad with the different txt files - it's defined in the button properties. No need for macros. On reload, script reads the files into the fields or variables (don't remember exactly now), and the text box is just shows this field or variable. The major drawback is that the reload is required after editing.
I'm thinking about a different approach. Create an input box with X variables - v1, v2, ...vX - one per line of the text box. and the text box expression will be
=v1 & chr(10) & v2 & chr(10) & ... & chr(10) & vX.
No reload needed, but here the max number of lines is fixed. And probably less convinient for user, but this is a matter of preference...

Not applicable
Author

Hey Michael,

I like the different approach. In your second approach, would the user have to hit return at the end of each line to get to the next line, or would the text word wrap?

Thanks!

Paul

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Example atached.
You have to click into the next line in the input box. Or click anywhere outside when done. Yes, text will wrap in the text box if it's too long.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Paul,
It's a different question, may be you better start a separate thread about it. Probably what you need is the input field rather than a variable.

Not applicable
Author

What about using the INPUTFIELD funtion eg
INPUTFIELD [Commentfield]; (put this at the start of your script)

Then above your actual data set in the script add a 'comment table':

TableComment:
LOAD
[CommentField];

Then load the rest of your data. If I created a straight table I was able to type in comments which would be saved and be able to view personally on reopening.

Hope this helps

bc