Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Issue with NULL/Blank records

I am encountering a strange problem with NULL/Blanks in my dimension data.

I have multiple records in my data set for each dimension value and I am summing up the mesasures against it. I have sorted the dimension based on sum of 1st measure column.

If you see the screenshot 1, the last record is null and there is no record for ELMIRA,NY even though there is data.

1.PNG.png

When I change the dataset and replace all nulls with 'BLANK', I get the entire data. Please see screenshot 2

2.PNG.png

This is affecting the totals as well. Please advise how to rectify this or handle nulls.

10 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

It's impossible to tell from the screenshots what's going on in your document.

Maybe this document helps: NULL handling in QlikView

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
tresesco
MVP
MVP

So what do you want data to be like? Exclude the them ?

Not applicable
Author

I want to have all the data.

I am ok with a row for blank, but ELMIRA data should also show up. so that the totals match.

SunilChauhan
Champion II
Champion II

I think  ELMIRA,NY value not related to null values.  or data change at later stage and ELMIRA,NY got introduced..

are you comining first column based on multiple field

Sunil Chauhan
Not applicable
Author

Sunil

ELMIRA is present in both cases. Just that in case 1, it does not come up after the row for Null values.

I have sorted it descending and ELMIRA totals are lower than those against Null.

tresesco
MVP
MVP

So you mean - when null value is replaced by BLANK it is additionally one extra member - 'ELMIRA' ? Could you create a small sample with sample data that shows the issue?

SunilChauhan
Champion II
Champion II

when you put Blank then it considering like  alphabet and sort according to that

if there are only 3-4 values

then you can set sort order using

properties->sort -> expression->

wildmatch(fieldname, 'first value','second','ELMIRA,NY','Blank')

try ascending descending as per you want

hope this helps

Sunil Chauhan
Greg_Williams
Former Employee
Former Employee

Paramita - have you tried Trimming the field "trim(<field>)" ? Perhaps there is a space in there or some hidden character - find this to be the case sometimes reading in xls files.

Not applicable
Author

Hi All

The problem is, no other values come up after blank when I sort it descending.

3.PNG.png

I also tried using - for nulls. Still the ELMIRA record doesnot come up.

4.PNG.png