Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
etrotter
Creator II
Creator II

Issues connecting a mdf file

Hi,

I am trying to connect an mdf file with the ODBC connector by using the sql server, but i dont think i am doing something quite right. I added a screenshot of my steps, please let me know if you see any errors that I can correct.

I went to administrative tools, ODBC connector, server DSN, add, then clicked on SQL server, then got to this screen. Did I fill this out right? it isn't connecting.

7 Replies
ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

you have entered the filename and location of the MDF File which wont work. Its asking for your name of the server that the SQL Database resides on.  this will be either an IP Address or the server name if it can be resolved.  on the next screen it will ask you for the databse name you wont need its file extention.

regards

Andy

etrotter
Creator II
Creator II
Author

betsybikes.PNG

here is its location in my laptop, i am not sure how to figure out what server it is. I do have my IP address, where can I find the database name, I tried Certification.mdf but that didn't work.

ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

If its a copy of SQL running on your machine and you are using Qlik sense desktop the server will most probably be called (local) to access the DBs running on your machine.

ramasaisaksoft

Hi Erixca,

As per my knowledge .mdf,.Ldf files are understandable in Sql server.

so first you need to load .Mdf files into Sql server/Sql server native client.

then you need to retrive that data into Qlikview from sql server by ODBC connection.

Control panel-->Administrative tools-->ODBC data source(32/64 bit) depends on your system-->System DSN-->

Add-->Sql server-->Name(You may be give by your wishing name)-->

Server name(It is provided by Sql server Administrator either IP address of the Sql server or Server Name with in the intranet)-->(Preferable) Select Windows NT authentication-->Connect to sql server...etc-->

Next-->Test the connection.

etrotter
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Sorry, bear with my I am new to Qlik,

I dont have sql downloaded, I do have:

ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server

SQL Server

SQL Server Native Client 11.0

As options on my machine for the ODBC Data sources, but I don't have the program SQL itself unless it comes predownloaded on laptops.

ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

The database has to be on a server to access it through those connections.  I saw you have an access db version of your data can you connect to that instead? you wont have any issues with that.

etrotter
Creator II
Creator II
Author

the Access file contains different data. I downloaded SQL and watched some youtube videos of how to upload it, but now i am running into this error

certification3.PNG