Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shifonjer
Contributor
Contributor

Join two tables and do average function - SQL query provided

Hi all,

I am loading two tables from excel file (both are in same file just different sheet) like this :

Table1:

LOAD BI,
Subject,
Grade
FROM
[Some_Excel.xlsx]
(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Ispiti);

Table2:

LOAD BI,
Name,
LastName,
Address,
City
FROM
[Some_Excel.xlsx]
(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Studenti);

What i want to do is same as this SQL Query 

Select City, AVG(Grade) as Average_Grade
from Table2
Join Table1 on Table1.BI = Table2.BI
Group By City
Oredr By Average_Grade;

Could anyone help me with this

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rodj
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

If you determined to replicate a SQL like scenario for whatever reason you could go about it like this:

Table1_temp:
LOAD BI,
Subject,
Grade
FROM
[Some_Excel.xlsx]

inner join
LOAD BI,
Name,
LastName,
Address,
City
FROM
[Some_Excel.xlsx]

Table1:
load City,
AVG(Grade) as Average_Grade
from table1_temp
Group By City
Order By Average_Grade;

drop table Table1_temp;

Depending on what you are trying to achieve however this may be totally unnecessary.
If what you want to get is a table or chart with the Avg Grade by city(or subject, or LastName etc) then all you need to do is load the two tables and Qlik Sense will automatically associate them on the BI field. This is the beauty of association, you don't need to define any joins etc and you won't be limiting the data you load as happens with SQL's set based logic. Then all you need to do is add a table object onto your sheet, add city as a dimension and then add avg(Grade) as a measure and you'll have the table you were trying to create.

Hope that's useful.

Rod

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Rodj
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

If you determined to replicate a SQL like scenario for whatever reason you could go about it like this:

Table1_temp:
LOAD BI,
Subject,
Grade
FROM
[Some_Excel.xlsx]

inner join
LOAD BI,
Name,
LastName,
Address,
City
FROM
[Some_Excel.xlsx]

Table1:
load City,
AVG(Grade) as Average_Grade
from table1_temp
Group By City
Order By Average_Grade;

drop table Table1_temp;

Depending on what you are trying to achieve however this may be totally unnecessary.
If what you want to get is a table or chart with the Avg Grade by city(or subject, or LastName etc) then all you need to do is load the two tables and Qlik Sense will automatically associate them on the BI field. This is the beauty of association, you don't need to define any joins etc and you won't be limiting the data you load as happens with SQL's set based logic. Then all you need to do is add a table object onto your sheet, add city as a dimension and then add avg(Grade) as a measure and you'll have the table you were trying to create.

Hope that's useful.

Rod
Shifonjer
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks this worked. I didn't know how to do this just using the table but now i know 😄

Rodj
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Excellent! I wasn't quite sure of your reason for trying to do what you asked so I tried to cover both bases.

Cheers,

Rod