Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Join two tables in script with ODBC

Hello!

I have a problem and I don´t know as solve it .. I´ll try explain it ...

I connect with ODBC to my database but my ODBC dont´t allow the sentence LEFT JOIN.

I have two tables join with a field and sql sentence should be:

SELECT F_ECRITUREC.CG_NUM, P_REGLEMENT.R_INTITULE, F_ECRITUREC.EC_MONTANT, F_ECRITUREC.EC_ECHEANCE,
P_REGLEMENT.R_CODE, (F_ECRITUREC.EC_ECHEANCE+P_REGLMENT.R_CODE) AS FechaValor
FROM F_ECRITUREC LEFT JOIN P_REGLEMENT ON F_ECRITUREC.N_REGLEMENT = P_REGLEMENT.CBINDICE

The field "FechaValor" is calculate with fields from both tables ...

How can I do it in QV?

Thanks and  best regards

18 Replies
rbecher
MVP
MVP

Hi,

this is a bit strange. Which database vendor and which ODBC driver you are using?

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

Load each data base table in a separate QlikView table. Then do the LEFT JOIN or a MAPPING LOAD in QlikView to get the date field. It should look like this, I haven't tested it though. The ApplyMap() line in the example above will read "return the EC_ECHEANCE field from F_Ecriturec table when value in CBINDICE is equal to the value in N_REGLEMENT, and sum R_CODE to that value".

F_Ecriturec:

LOAD *;

SQL SELECT N_REGLEMENT, CG_NUM, EC_MONTANT, EC_ECHEANCE

FROM F_ECRITUREC;

EcriturecToReglementMap:

MAPPING LOAD N_REGLEMENT,

EC_ECHEANCE

RESIDENT F_Ecriturec;

P_Reglement:

LOAD *,

ApplyMap('EcriturecToReglementMap', CBINDICE) + R_CODE AS FechaValor

SELECT CBINDICE, R_INTITULE, R_CODE

FROM P_REGLEMENT;

Hope that helps.

Miguel

rbecher
MVP
MVP

Could be impossible or take a very longtime to load all data from both tables if it's a big amount of records. This should work on a database level..

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Not applicable
Author

Ok!!

Thank you very much !!

I'll try your solution as soon as possible and I will tell you if it worked!!

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

this is very strage, Left join should work.

anyways, To do it in Qlikview, you can follow Miguel's suggestion.

If it is oracle may be you can try this because keyword left join is not supported in older versions.

SELECT

F_ECRITUREC.CG_NUM,

P_REGLEMENT.R_INTITULE,

F_ECRITUREC.EC_MONTANT,

F_ECRITUREC.EC_ECHEANCE,

P_REGLEMENT.R_CODE,

(F_ECRITUREC.EC_ECHEANCE+P_REGLMENT.R_CODE) AS FechaValor

FROM F_ECRITUREC,P_REGLEMENT

where F_ECRITUREC.N_REGLEMENT = P_REGLEMENT.CBINDICE(+)

Not applicable
Author

Ok Ralf!!

The table F_CRITUREC may have many records, the other table only 50.

Database can be two types:

- SQL (no problem)

- software provider specifies (with ODBC)

When it is not SQL, I only can access to it from ODBC and, although this may seem strange, SQL sentences only support INNER JOIN and WHERE campo1 = campo2 (instead of inner join sentence).

I´ll try Miguel´s solution and I hope it works!!!!

Regards

rbecher
MVP
MVP

There is another left join DB level solution (w/o join) for this:

SELECT F_ECRITUREC.CG_NUM, P_REGLEMENT.R_INTITULE, F_ECRITUREC.EC_MONTANT, F_ECRITUREC.EC_ECHEANCE,

P_REGLEMENT.R_CODE, (F_ECRITUREC.EC_ECHEANCE+P_REGLMENT.R_CODE) AS FechaValor

FROM F_ECRITUREC INNER JOIN P_REGLEMENT ON F_ECRITUREC.N_REGLEMENT = P_REGLEMENT.CBINDICE

UNION ALL

P_REGLEMENT.R_CODE, F_ECRITUREC.EC_ECHEANCE AS FechaValor

FROM F_ECRITUREC

WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM P_REGLEMENT WHERE P_REGLEMENT.CBINDICE=F_ECRITUREC.N_REGLEMENT)

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Ralf,

I totally agree that the more work the database does, the simpler the load will be. I'm basing my answer on the assumption that, actually, the ODBC is not able to make the RDBM perform LEFT JOINs. JOINs work really poor in QlikView even using numeric key values and a super high density of data, not to mention the disk usage increment (to save, at the end of the day, the same number of rows).

But there are indeed cases where the JOINs must be done in QlikView, and hence my answer.

Kind regards.

Miguel

rbecher
MVP
MVP

Hi Miguel,

I think your mapping based solution in QV works perfect and is fast for lookup tables with a few records.

I just wanted to show that a LEFT JOIN can be made also with INNER JOIN + UNION ALL at DB level.

We should always think about to use the backend DB power..

Cheers!

Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D