Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
avastani
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Last WorkDay of Month

Is there a predefined function to determine the last workday of any month in a given year?

I am trying to create the Stock Market Calendar where for instance, if AsOfDate = June, 28, 2012

then, 1 Month ago = May, 25, 2012 (i.e. the last business day a month ago since AddMonths(AsOfDate, -1) = May, 28, 2012 which is a holiday and therefore, the max business day before that is Friday May 25, 2012.

I am thinking I will need a reference table of all the holidays in the years before and years to come. But a predefined function for shortcuts to Prior Workday, Next Workday, WorkDay 1 month ago, Last Workday of month etc would be helpful.

Thoughts anyone?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes I create a work day flag like this:

LEFT JOIN (Date) LOAD DISTINCT
DateID,
1 as WorkDayFlag
RESIDENT Date
WHERE weekday(DateID)<5                                   // not Saturday or Sunday
AND match(date(DateID), $(HolidayList))=0;          // not holiday

As you can guess, variable HolidayList is a comma-separated list of holidays.  So, the last work day of month is easy, it is max Date per month where WorkDayFlag=1.
As for the next and previous work day, try this:
previous:   firstworkdate(BaseDate, 1, $(HolidayList))
next:   lastworkdate(BaseDate, 1, $(HolidayList))

Regards,
Michael

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes I create a work day flag like this:

LEFT JOIN (Date) LOAD DISTINCT
DateID,
1 as WorkDayFlag
RESIDENT Date
WHERE weekday(DateID)<5                                   // not Saturday or Sunday
AND match(date(DateID), $(HolidayList))=0;          // not holiday

As you can guess, variable HolidayList is a comma-separated list of holidays.  So, the last work day of month is easy, it is max Date per month where WorkDayFlag=1.
As for the next and previous work day, try this:
previous:   firstworkdate(BaseDate, 1, $(HolidayList))
next:   lastworkdate(BaseDate, 1, $(HolidayList))

Regards,
Michael

swuehl
MVP
MVP

There are indeed some QV functions you can make use of, namely firstworkdate():

firstworkdate(end_date, no_of_workdays {, holiday} )

Returns the latest starting date to achieve number_of_workdays (Monday-Friday) ending no later than end_date taking into account any optionally listed holidays. End_date and holiday should be valid dates or timestamps.

Examples:

firstworkdate ('2007-03-01', 9) returns '2007-02-19' 

firstworkdate ('2006-12-31', 8, '2006-12-25', '2006-12-26') returns '2006-12-18' 

so

=firstworkdate(monthend(today()),1)

returns 2012-08-31, which seems to be correct (last friday in August), and

=firstworkdate(addmonths(monthend(today()),1),1)

returns the last work date in September (2012-09-28). There is also a function called lastworkdate, but I believe you need firstworkdate function here (check out the other and all the other date and time functions in the Help).

You can add a list of holidays to the function as shown above to take care of your holidays, too.

Hope this helps,

Stefan

avastani
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

this is good stuff. Both suggestions worked and actually refined my solution.

The problem I am trying to solve is that I have calendar dates in my fact table from 1976 all the way to today and I am trying to create an asOfDate table which is a join of the MasterCalendar onto itself (Clearly Extremely Inefficient)

1. have to use set analysis

2. there is asofdate full outer join onto the MasterCalendar table so I have joins for records that have anything beyond Prior5YearFlag as 0. so in essence if I have asofdate of today, then Jan 1 2000 is 12 years ago and I am not interested in Flags which are more than 5 rolling years away from the as of date.

3. with every new business day, this table has to be recreated/appended to.

4. this table itself adds tot he ultimate size of the app

so i think this is the most inefficient way to work with as of date. exploring other options.