Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pgriffiths
Creator
Creator

Latest user details from user table.

I have a user table that is being loaded from a QVD.

I have been trying to load only the most up to date user details per username without success.

The fields I have are

Active (0/1)

EmployeeNum (Integer)

Username (String AD Username)

I need to return

Usernames and EmployeeNum with the max(Active)

This should give me all active users and any inactive users who have a username that an active employee isn't currently using.

Example table.

ActiveEmployeeNumUsername
020AndrewWilliams
021FredJones
022PeterSmith
123SamDavis
124FredJones
125PeterSmith

I don't want to return EmployeeNum 21 and 22 from the above example as there usernames have been reused for employee 24 and 25.

What I want to return is as follows

ActiveEmployeeNumUsername
020AndrewWilliams
123SamDavis
124FredJones
125PeterSmith

Anyone done this sort of thing before?.

I tried using Max() in the load with Group By Active, but this didn't work.

I don't want to go back to the SQL database to pull this info as its in the US and we are in the UK and very slow to pull from, so I want to pull from our nightly QVD extract.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable

Hi Peter

This is a classic 'let us know what the most recent details against each of our employees is' scenario which is best achieved in script.

In your quest you actually have anomalous issues.  For example, you want to know the most recent status against each employee, but each employee may no longer be active.  Consequently you can't simply query your data for the current 'Active' employees, i.e  select all where the active status is 1.  Instead you are looking for the most recent entry against each employee name to determine the current status of each name.  In your database ideally you would have an audit table that would show the dates on which each employee transitioned from active to inactive.  However, you do not show that data so I will assume it does not exist.  However, from your data it appears that each new employee gets a new employee number even if they have the same name as a previous employee so we can use that to achieve your desired result.

Firstly, let us consider what consistent information we have.  In your data the consistent data is the Employee Name and the Active status.  This is a risky strategy as it is prone to issues from spelling mistakes/entry variations in the name but let's run with it.

Firstly, I loaded a copy of your raw data:

Data:
Load * inline [
Active, EmployeeNum, Username
0, 20, AndrewWilliams
0, 21, FredJones
0, 22, PeterSmith
1, 23, SamDavis
1, 24, FredJones
1, 25, PeterSmith
]
;

I used an inline load for simplicity but I assume this would come from your database. No matter where it comes from the key point is that you have the data in the three fields listed in a table that resides in memory in QlikView.

As the employee number is the key identifier in your data we next need to identify the most recent identifier for each name that you have in your data.  This is achieved by:

left join (Data)
Load
Username,
Firstsortedvalue(EmployeeNum,-EmployeeNum) as LatestEmployeeNumber
Resident Data
Group By Username
;

The above script groups your data by name and identifies the highest employee number that is held against each name.  It then joins that value to the initially loaded table so now you have a new field in your table called LatestEmployeeNumber.

The next step is to load data into a table where the EmployeeNum is equal to the LatestEmployeeNumber which is achieved by:

LatestEmployeeStatus:
Load
EmployeeNum as currentEmployeeNumber,
Username as currentUserName,
Active as currentStatus
Resident Data
Where EmployeeNum=LatestEmployeeNumber;

This will create the table you were aiming for:

You could then drop the original table if you no longer needed it using: Drop table Data;

So the complete script is:

Data:
Load * inline [

0, 20, AndrewWilliams
0, 21, FredJones
0, 22, PeterSmith
1, 23, SamDavis
1, 24, FredJones
1, 25, PeterSmith
]
;

left join (Data)
Load
Username,
Resident Data
Group By Username
;

LatestEmployeeStatusResult:
Load
Active as currentStatus
Resident Data

Hope that helps.

Kind regards

Steve

View solution in original post

7 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Try something like

INPUT:

LOAD Active,

EmployeeNum,

Username

FROM

[https://community.qlik.com/thread/171191]

(html, codepage is 1252, embedded labels, table is @1);

RESULT:

LOAD Username as UsernameCheck,

RESIDENT INPUT

WHERE NOT EXISTS(UsernameCheck, Username)

ORDER BY Username, Active desc;

DROP TABLE INPUT;

DROP FIELD UsernameCheck;

MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

Create a Straight Table

Dimensions

=Aggr(max(EmployeeNum),Username)

=Aggr(Max(Active),Username)

Expression

FirstSortedValue(Username,-Active)

alexandros17
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Try with this code

TAB1:
LOAD * Inline [
0, 20, AndrewWilliams
0, 21, FredJones
0, 22, PeterSmith
1, 23, SamDavis
1, 24, FredJones
1, 25, PeterSmith
]
;

Left Join
LOAD '1' as flag, max(Active) as Active, Max(EmployeeNum) as EmployeeNum Resident TAB1 Group By Username;

Final:
NoConcatenate
LOAD * Resident TAB1 Where flag=1;
DROP Table TAB1;

MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

or

Create a Straight Table

Dimensions

=Aggr(max(EmployeeNum),Username)

=Aggr(Max(Active),Username)

Expression

Username

Not applicable

Hi Peter

This is a classic 'let us know what the most recent details against each of our employees is' scenario which is best achieved in script.

In your quest you actually have anomalous issues.  For example, you want to know the most recent status against each employee, but each employee may no longer be active.  Consequently you can't simply query your data for the current 'Active' employees, i.e  select all where the active status is 1.  Instead you are looking for the most recent entry against each employee name to determine the current status of each name.  In your database ideally you would have an audit table that would show the dates on which each employee transitioned from active to inactive.  However, you do not show that data so I will assume it does not exist.  However, from your data it appears that each new employee gets a new employee number even if they have the same name as a previous employee so we can use that to achieve your desired result.

Firstly, let us consider what consistent information we have.  In your data the consistent data is the Employee Name and the Active status.  This is a risky strategy as it is prone to issues from spelling mistakes/entry variations in the name but let's run with it.

Firstly, I loaded a copy of your raw data:

Data:
Load * inline [
0, 20, AndrewWilliams
0, 21, FredJones
0, 22, PeterSmith
1, 23, SamDavis
1, 24, FredJones
1, 25, PeterSmith
]
;

I used an inline load for simplicity but I assume this would come from your database. No matter where it comes from the key point is that you have the data in the three fields listed in a table that resides in memory in QlikView.

As the employee number is the key identifier in your data we next need to identify the most recent identifier for each name that you have in your data.  This is achieved by:

left join (Data)
Load
Username,
Resident Data
Group By Username
;

The above script groups your data by name and identifies the highest employee number that is held against each name.  It then joins that value to the initially loaded table so now you have a new field in your table called LatestEmployeeNumber.

The next step is to load data into a table where the EmployeeNum is equal to the LatestEmployeeNumber which is achieved by:

LatestEmployeeStatus:
Load
Active as currentStatus
Resident Data

This will create the table you were aiming for:

You could then drop the original table if you no longer needed it using: Drop table Data;

So the complete script is:

Data:
Load * inline [

0, 20, AndrewWilliams
0, 21, FredJones
0, 22, PeterSmith
1, 23, SamDavis
1, 24, FredJones
1, 25, PeterSmith
]
;

left join (Data)
Load
Username,
Resident Data
Group By Username
;

LatestEmployeeStatusResult:
Load
Active as currentStatus
Resident Data

Hope that helps.

Kind regards

Steve

pgriffiths
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks Steven,

I have been having problems with this for so long.

This worked a charm and also allowed me to identify the duplicates and create another table for the duplicates for IT to remove going forward.

Its like 2 for 1

Happy days.

Not applicable

Hi Peter

You're welcome.  Glad it helped to resolve your issue.

Kind regards

Steve