Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. IMPORTANT DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Line Chart with dimension cycle

Not sure if this is doable but if it is, I know someone out here has the answer.

I'm looking to create a very simple line graph.  It will have just two dimensions (time period and product) and one Expression - price.

What i would like to do is create the ability to cycle through products individually if more than one is selected.  This can be done with Reports (I have successfully created this by banding on product).  What i would like to do is have this within the application so a user can cycle through without have to print the report to do so.

I don't think this is inherently built into the functionality of charts so I suspect I will need some sort of work around.  Something that recognizes the products that have been selected and a mechanism that can pass these selections to a chart object one at a time.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I think I'm close to solving this but need some help.

The way I make my selections is with a button.  The button uses filters that the user enters then makes a selection of the appropriate items.

I have also been able to send those selections to a variable.  I can use that variable then to feed a list to choose from to feed a chart.  I've done this before but the variable was hard coded with the field names properly entered as 'name1','name2', etc

I'm using getfieldselections in an action to populate the variable.  However, it does not put the quotes ' ' around the name.

UPDATE: One road block with all of this is you can not set a field and then send those selections to a variable with one action (button with select and set action).  You can see further detail in this thread.  Execution order of actions

View solution in original post

12 Replies
sunny_talwar

Have you thought about using a trellis chart where you can trellis over the product dimension and see each product's line chart separately and can scroll through all the selected products

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Interesting. Do you have a link on formatting these trellis charts?  I can get it to work but format looks terrible. 

sunny_talwar

Not entirely sure how you want the formatting to be, but it will be static as far as I know. I would just view one product at a time and scroll to see other products.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Right, the formatting is little to be desired.  In addition, products is not the x-axis (time is) and therefore I really cant use scroll. Its an interesting feature though, thanks for showing me.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Now I see what you mean by scrolling.  I was thinking the axis but if you limit the trellis to one column and have multiple charts it will give you the scroll bar.  Nice but still not ideal.  Primarily because the formatting is limited.  In particular the y axis of the items I'm charting can vary dramatically from one to the other.  But because trellis is really one chart (broken down) the y - axis is based on the total set of data, not the individual item that is shown in a single trellis chart.  This has a tendency to wash out trends reducing the impact of the chart itself.  Again, not ideal.  Would rather see the chart re-drawn as once cycles through the various selections.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The way I make my selections is with a button.  The button uses filters that the user enters then makes a selection of the appropriate items.

I have also been able to send those selections to a variable.  I can use that variable then to feed a list to choose from to feed a chart.  I've done this before but the variable was hard coded with the field names properly entered as 'name1','name2', etc

I'm using getfieldselections in an action to populate the variable.  However, it does not put the quotes ' ' around the name.

UPDATE: One road block with all of this is you can not set a field and then send those selections to a variable with one action (button with select and set action).  You can see further detail in this thread.  Execution order of actions

sunny_talwar

Try this:

=Chr(39) & GetFieldSelections(FieldName, Chr(39) & ',' & Chr(39)) & Chr(39)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Worked.  Thanks.

sunny_talwar

Awesome

I am glad you were finally able to figure it out.

Just as a suggestion, I would recommend marking correct answer and helpful answers to those responses which are actually helpful for people looking at this thread in the future. Marking "Worked. Thanks" as your correct answer won't be very helpful. Instead you can mark this one as correct:

as this may still give other people a better idea of how you resolved your problem. Or you can mark one of my answers as correct as it gave you the direction to move in the right direction.

I hope you understand that I am trying to only do this to make this community a better place

Best,

Sunny