Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Link to file server share in QV file

Hello,

I need to put the link to some file server share in the text box. Link is as standard path: \\server\share

How to do it? I'm able to use http link but not path above.

thanks in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

I did more test. Your suggestion is ok and it works when I open QV file in QlikView Desktop application. I can open server share using button with proper action.

But it does not work in QlikView Web Server. When I click the button, new IE window pops up with the http address to my server share. Of course it will not work.

Any idea here?

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

If you want to allow the user to open some file, I'd rather use an action (External, Launch). Set Application as

\\server\share

And it will open the folder (provided the user has proper permissions) instead of opening any document or program.

Hope this helps

Not applicable
Author

This is an idea, I will try it.

Another question related to similar issue. I have an SQL table with name TBL_AAA:

ID, ApplicationName, FolderName

1, Adobe Reader, Folder1

2, QlikView Plugin, Folder2

3, MS Office 2007, Folder3

I load this table into QV file and show it as a table box. Now I would like to add new column which will contain the full path to each proper folder. Example of table box:

ID, ApplicationName, FolderName, Path

1, Adobe Reader, Folder1, \\server\share\Folder1

2, QlikView Plugin, Folder2, \\server\share\Folder2

3, MS Office 2007, Folder3, \\server\share\Folder3

It should be possible to click "Path" value and open the proper folder directly. How to manage this scenario?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

I'd as follows:

ApplicationTable:LOAD Name, ApplicationName, FolderName, '\\server\share\' & FolderName AS ActualFolder;SQL SELECT Name, ApplicationName, FolderNameFROM DATABASE.dbo.TBL_AAA;

Create a new listbox with ApplicationName, select one value, go to the listbox properties and check "Always one selected value", so there will wlays be a possible folder to open.

Now get a button to have an action as described above (External, Launch), only that now the Application expression will look like

=Only(ActualFolder)

Hope this helps

Not applicable
Author

It works Smile. Thanks for help.

Now I would to tune up my report. Path to folder looks now as '\\TEST01\SHARE1\' & FOLDER1 AS PATH in Load section.

Server TEST01 is located on my site but the report will be used by users from other sites also. I do not want allow them to run the FOLDER1 content via WAN connection. Each site has same copy of folder structure and content, it only name of server is different.

So now I need to detect which user is opening the QV file on QV Server and according to some matching table insert the proper server name to path instead of TEST01 which is only for me.

I can prepare the simple SQL table with static maping data. Table name MAPPING:

NTNAME, SERVER

AAA, TEST01

BBB, TEST02

CCC, TEST02

DDD, TEST03

How it should be done now? Using access section? I need now easy way to insert TEST03 to server path in Load Section if detected NTNAME of the user is DDD.

Best regards

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

You can do the following to get the proper user/server

DO LET vHost = Upper(Input('Please Enter User Name', 'Hold On'));LOOP WHILE LEN(vHost) = 0; UserServerMap:MAPPING LOAD * INLINE [USER, SERVERNAMEUSER1, SERVER1USER2, SERVER2]; LET vShow = MsgBox('Your Server is ' & ApplyMap('UserServerMap', '$(vHost)'));

unless you need section access to reduce your data. But if there are several QVW documents in several servers I'd work with $(include=) instead of section access or asking the user for anything.

Hope this helps

Not applicable
Author

I did more test. Your suggestion is ok and it works when I open QV file in QlikView Desktop application. I can open server share using button with proper action.

But it does not work in QlikView Web Server. When I click the button, new IE window pops up with the http address to my server share. Of course it will not work.

Any idea here?

Not applicable
Author

It works with IE Plugin. Does not work with AJAX.