Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Logic for a status_light (gauge chart) with three segments

Hi,

can someone help me plz? I need the following logic:

- In the apps on the lowest level, I will have a varying nr. of diagrams, each one with a status_light

- No matter how they are calculated, each status light should have red, yellow, green

- No matter how many individual stati there are (well, it's usually three, but it should be flexible), I need some way of
        dynamically calculating an overall status along the following lines:

- All lights green => overall status is green

- One or more yellow, rest green => overall status is yellow

- One or more red, rest whatever => overall status is red

With just two lights, this is easy - people used to say, there is no middle way, so i had no difficulties. Three is a lot more complicated.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

2 Replies
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

I reckon with numbers I can never get there in an easy way:

- Say, I give 10 pts for red, 20 for yellow, 30 for green

=> All lights green would return 90 points

=> One light green, two yellow would yield 70 => The overall status should be yellow

<=> Two green lights, one red would also yield 70, but the overall status should be red

To make it more precise, I would have to repeat the calculation of each formula several times to calculate the overall status, that seems stupid to me.

I suppose I cannot assign letters instead of numbers to those gauges - doesn't seem to work anyway.

Couldn't I concatenate the results of the individual lights into a variable and then evaluate it (in that order) => Then I could say, like

- "Variable like 111 => overall_status is green"

- "Variable like 112 or 121 or 211 or ... => overall_status is yellow"

- "Variable like 113 or 131 or 311 or ... => overall_status is red"

=> That way, I'd have to query a few possible combinations, but it would still be easier - and more resource-friendly - than repeating the calculation of every one of the three formulas as many times...

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Done 😉

Long live Feynman 😉