Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

MS Access ODBC connection prevents reload in management console

I have a Qlikview application that I can't get to reload automatically through the management console.  I've narrowed it down to the data in an Access db that keeps in from running successfully.  I've tried changing the connection from ODBC to OLE DB without success.  The reload runs fine when I trigger it within the Qlikview designer.  I've verified that the Qlikview user has access to all the files/databases that I'm trying to hit, but it just won't run successfully.  Anyone have any suggestions?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

We finally got this one figured out...

Our situation is that we have Qlikview with a connection to an Access db and it was not refreshing on the Management Console.  The error we kept getting was that the database had an invalid path, but this whole time we've used the unc path or network address to get it to work.

Our particular situation was that the Access db we were using was just a copy of the operational Access db (this was done because the operational db had undecipherable table names and columns and we needed ones that were decipherable for use in excel) and when Qlikview Management Console would try to update it would somehow get the path to the operational db on the refresh.  Upon further digging we found that the copy had a mapped drive in the path it was using for the operational and so once we changed that to a unc path then it finally worked.

So, all this time it wasn't anything with Qlikview, it was because we had a mapped drive in the path in Access.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Jared

If  you can reload the other files and folders from the managment console, and they are in the same location, it is probably not due to access restrictions.

You have changed from odbc to ole, but have you checked that the machine running the qmc has the same ole connections set up as the one specified in your application? In  fact you could stick with ODBC , but you will just need the same one set up in the server that is running the document.

Erica

Not applicable
Author

Erica, thanks for the reply.  I have set up the same connections on the server that's running the QMC and I've changed it all back to the ODBC.  The only reason I tried the OLE DB was to see if it would work vs. the ODBC.  Do you have any other suggestions?

Not applicable
Author

What connect statements are in your script - you can force 32/64 bit connections in the connection string and that might be causing the problem if your server is 64 bit but your connection is 32 bit for example.

Perhaps if you physically log in to the server using the qlikview management account, open qlikview desktop and create thge connection using the wizard, that might wotk (or make it easier to test)

Erica

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Jared

Can you share with us the qvw reload log file for a server reload fail.

Best Regards,     Bill

Not applicable
Author

Erica, I already had the force 32 bit check box checked for the Access database so I'm sure that's not the issue.  I did try your suggestion to log into the server itself, but that didn't work either.

Bill, I've attached the log.  Thanks for the help.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Jared

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, I meant the qvw document log.  The one that goes into the same folder as the qvw and has the same name,e as the qvw, but with .log at the end.

If it is not producing you need to go into the document properties and tick generate log file

Best Regards,     Bill

Not applicable
Author

Bill,

Here are two logs.  The v1 is the one that works when I perform and manual reload while in Qlikview itself.  v2 is the one that gets generated when the Management Console tries to reload.  I noticed that v2 shows a different path than my ODBC connection, but I can't seem to figure out why.  Do these make any more sense to you?

Not applicable
Author

I would re-check the ODBC on the server... To verify it Points to the right place...

Perhaps log on to the server as QlikviewSVC and run the script in the Designer there...

Just copy the QV.exe and related files on to the server if you dont have the designer installed...

BR

Hans

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Jared

You are using a mapped drive of R:

11/25/2013 11:27:03 AM:      Error: SQL##f - SqlState: S1009, ErrorCode: 4294966273, ErrorMsg: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] 'R:\StoneTimberRiver\Data\MarketM.mdb' is not a valid path.  Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides.

11/25/2013 11:27:03 AM:      General Script Error

11/25/2013 11:27:03 AM:      Execution Failed

11/25/2013 11:27:03 AM:      Execution finished.

The QlikView Distribution Service, runs as a Windows Service which do not support Mapped Drives, hence why it is not a valid path.

You need to use the unc path instead, as in \\servername\sharename\StoneTimberRiver\Data\MarketM.mdb

Best Regards,    Bill