Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Map Functionality in QlikSense?

Hi All,

On a scale between 1-10, I am about a 4 (with my Qlik Sense skills).  Which means I am fairly new to Qlik and not super technical (but trying!).

I tried to find to find some Youtube tutorials without much luck and many folks talk about a KML file that I need to download.
Can someone please provide me step by step instructions on how to create a heat map? (I am used to the drag and drop functionality of tableau).  I would like the ability to create a heat map and color it by the different hierarchical cuts of data (e.g. Region, District, Territory) based on the zipcodes.

Thanks so much!

Pauline

My file layout:  An excel file that has Zipcode to Territory Mapping

Region  District             Territory          Zipcode  

East      Mid-Atlantic      New Jersey    xxxxx

East      Mid-Atlantic      Philadelphia   xxxxx

West     Southeast         Los Angeles  xxxxx          

3 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Pauline,

this might be a bit too much for a community post, but the good news are - it's described with a lot of detail, and with a hands-on example, in my book QlikView Your Business. Plus, you can learn many other valuable techniques that are applicable to both QlikView and Qlik Sense.

enjoy!

Oleg Troyansky

Not applicable
Author

A KML file contains Names & Longitude / Latitude ie.

<name>00014</name> // ZIP

<coordinates>-112.831344,31.884355,0.0 -112.875884,31.898102</coordinates>

The Longitude / Latitude coordinates make up the map outline or "polygonal shape" (useful keyword when googling).

To fill your requirement you'll need to find a KML that has US Zipcodes, discussed here

When loading your KML to QS you'll need to JOIN your data to the <name> field. & then use an expression to colour by Region, District or Territory.

Another term you may come across is SVG. SVG is a code based image file. There is a popular SVG reader for QS that could be tested with SVG files. However you may not get allot of support for these custom objects as people may not be familiar with the files & process.

MK9885
Master II
Master II

You cannot make a heat map in Qlik Sense for free.

Default Qlik Sense Map supports Bubble style map only, SVG supports polygon maps. (Free)

Google Maps support Heat Maps, Cluster Maps (Paid)

Qlik Maps support everything (Paid)

Geo Supports everything as well (Paid)

Ideally maps are created by taking Latitudes and Longitudes are data points on map. If it is Polygon map then the .SHP files or KML files.

By using bubble map you can also show kind of heat map (by coloring the bubbles depending on the measure value)

Same can be done to Polygon Maps (SVG).

Below is default Qlik Sense Map color coded

SVG.png

and this is your SVG Map can be color coded of course.

SVG.png

The above 2 Maps are totally free. Rest of other maps are not. But one of Polygon (SVG) and other is Bubble (Qlik Sense Map)