Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Master Calendar/Canonical Calendar

Hello,

I've seen Canonical Date Henric Cronström and  Linking to two or more dates from Rob Wunderlich.  But I still confused.

This is the script for Canonical calendar:

DateLink:
LOAD
Case_ID, // Fact Key
[Receipt Date] as Date, // Fact Date
'Receipt' as DateType   // Fact Type
RESIDENT CASE_TEMP;  // from Case_Temp

LOAD
Case_ID,
[Aware Date] as Date,
'Aware'
as DateType
RESIDENT CASE_REPORTS;

// Call Calendar Generator for field "Date"
CALL CalendarFromField('Date', 'CommonCalendar', '');
CALL CalendarFromField('Receipt Date', 'ICSRCalendar', 'ICSR '); // Create Calendar for OrderDate
CALL CalendarFromField('Regulatory Report Aware Date', 'ComplianceCalendar', 'Compliance '); // Create Calendar for ShipDate

This is the autogenerate date range script for Master calendar:

TempCalendar:
LOAD
Date($(vStartDate) + RecNo()) as TempDate autogenerate $(vEndDate) - $(vStartDate);

MasterCalendar:
Load
TempDate as Date
Resident TempCalendar
Order By TempDate ASC;
Drop Table TempCalendar;

I also set up Variable Event Triggers and Field Event Triggers for Master Calendar.

What confused me are:

1. I am not sure if the set up is correct or am I missing anything? I guess I am not totally clear about the logic that how this works.

2. How can I use it for list box "Year, Quater, Month", Start date and End date Slider/Calendar Objects, as well as other chart or table objects? How should I set up these different date / date range objects based on my Master/Canonical calendar?

3. Shall I use Set Analysis: Sum( {$<DateType={'XXX'}>} Case_Count ) with all the objects listed above?

4. I am also using alternate state/assigned state to objects in different tabs. Do I still need to assign states to objects if I have Master/Canonical calendar? How can I achieve this goal?

Could anyone share with me any thoughts that help me think it though clearly?

Thanks a lot!

Becky

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

16 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You have several concepts mixed here. The building of the DateLink table looks correct if you want to use a common calendar. After that, you are mixing the CalendarFromField sub (that I provided in my sample) with generation of a Temp Calendar table, which is a different approach.  Then you ask about alternate states and the calendar, which may or may not be a relevant issue.

Ii suggest you break this down into smaller pieces, starting with a use case statement like "user should be able to select a single month and see count of cases opened and closed in that month". provide a small amount of sample data if you can. Even better if you can provide a sample QVW.

You may have several considerations here, depending on your final requirements. I suggest you tackle the requirements one at a time and learn as you go.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Hi Rob,

Thanks for taking your time and letting me know.

I was acutally built my metrics by tackle it step by step with folks help in Qlik Community.

What I have now is two different tabs - Case_Receive tab and Case_Submission tab. There are two different date for each tab. Receive_Date for Case_Receive tab, Submit_Date for Case_Submission tab. I may create the third tab or more with different date fields based on the future needs.

The steps helped me built this metrics are:

1. Enable user to select single Y, Q, M;  (completed)

2. Enable user to select Start Date and End Date based on a master calendar; (completed but only apply for Case_Receive tab)

3. Assigned states to objects on Case_Receive tab and Case_Submission tab; (completed)

4. User could select Start Date and End Date (need to tackle this one, that's where I got confused about set different date fields for master calendar, commonCalenar etc.) Right now, the Start Date and End Date objects are not working on Case_Submission tab. I assumed the reason is related to master calendar.

Can you let me know how to tackle this issue?

Thanks a lot,

Becky

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You are assigning StartDate and EndDate to variables, so they will have no connection to the calendars. You will need to either

1 ) Reference them in Set Analysis expressions (use a Straight Table, you can't code expressions in a Table Box).

2) Make selections using triggers.

I recommend you take neither of these options.  Instead, eliminate the Start/End Date calendar objects. Instead let users select ranges from Year, Qtr and Month listboxes. If the user needs to select a range of actual dates, let then use a listbox for the Receive_Date. This will make your coding much easier.

-Rob

http://masterssummit.com

http://qlikviewcookbook.com

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Rob. Use a listbox is a simple solution. But I have to do the calendar objects.

How should I change for the StartDate and EndDate then they will conne t to the calendar? Which calendar you were mentioning here?

And do I need to create all these three tables: DateLink, CommonCalendar and Master Calendar?

If I need to create at least two of them, such as DateLink and Master Calendar, how can I link two of them together?

Best,

Becky

Anil_Babu_Samineni

Can i know, What do you want Achieve? So that, Might be get chance to help

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
Not applicable
Author

Sure, thanks Anil.

I am trying to make the StartDate/EndDate objects work with two different date fields through a master calendar.  You can find the sample QVW attachment from above post.

Please let me know any of your thoughts.

Thanks!

Becky

Anil_Babu_Samineni

Might be Helpful

Selecting Arbitrary Date Ranges - YouTube

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Anil. I acutally created what I have based on this video.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Take a look at this sample to see if it helps you.

Qlikview Cookbook: Enter Date From To http://qlikviewcookbook.com/recipes/download-info/enter-date-from-to/

-Rob

http://masterssummit.com

http://qlikviewcookbook.com