Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Master Calender Issues?

Hello

This is my first time using a master calendar and understanding it's logic.

My calendar is driven from a SQL table. Select linkdate, * from calendar. It is very straightforward.

I have a linkdate in my qvd dataset which link both the qvd and the calendar together. This allows me to have all available dates in a date picker.

The two tables are linking correctly as far as I am aware but I have a problem.

I have done a chart and I am counting up rows from my qvd and using the expression (nullcount(column2)+count(column2)) so I can count all values including any nulls from column2. My dimension is just location.

This is causing me a problem in my chart as Q.V. seems to be counting an instance for every day of the year e.g. the total count should be 15, but it's giving me the count of 350 and assigning it to a dash e.g. - where there is no data.

When I write the formula (nullcount(column2)+count(column2)) into a button it gives me 15 but when I add it into the chart it's giving me the 350 number with a dash beside the name.

I've created a table box and can see all 350 values. When I look at the data Q.V. i can see the 15 rows of data are matching to the date but there are 350 blank lines with only the date.

My nullcount is obviously calculating these which is good but how do I determine what is real data to count e.g. just the 15 records so the nullcount isn't counting the 350 other dates the calendar has generated but counts nulls where they may apply?

Do i need to create a key?

I could use a key to count the records but how would i do This?

Thanks

2 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Maybe filter your record set with a filter on a field that shows values for every existing date in your dataset, maybe for location field

=(nullcount({<location *= {"*"}>}column2)+count({<location *= {"*"}>} column2))

Or just enable 'Suppress when Value is NULL' on dimension tab for your dimension.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you. I tested both and ended up using the first option which was easier 🙂