Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Month to Date using Master Calendar

I am using a master calendar with built in flags and want to calculate MTD for the chosen month, M -1 , M -2.

I have data loaded until Aug 11 2014.

If the chosen month is not complete (e.g. Aug 2014), then the MTD numbers should show only until Aug 11th and for the other months it should show the MTD numbers for the whole month.

The MTD expression I am using for the current month (Aug) is

RangeSum(above( sum({<Date={'=$(=max(Date))'},%Flag_ThisMonth={1} >}measure),0,rowno()))

The problem am facing is that for the M-1 and M -2 it works fine,  whereas for M i.e. Aug, the line extends until end of month with the same MTD value as of 13th Aug. I want the line to end on 13th August and not extend

mtd issue.png

Now if  I remove the expressions for M-1, M-2 etc. then the above MTD expression for August works well.

mtd issue 2.png

Can anyone help me with this case ?

Would appreciate any help/pointers.

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies
marcus_sommer

I think you need a if-loop which checked the day from current month against the day from calendar. Maybe you could set these check within the background-color from the expression to change the color to transparency:

if(check, color(rowno()), argb(0,0,0,0))

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Hello Macus,

That doesn't seem to do the trick, the check that I am making is this

if(month(max(Date)) <=month(Today()), color(rowno()), argb(0,0,0,0))

So now each month porition is colored differently for 2014 - am thinking this is because of the fact that the other expressions bring back data until end of day (31st) and this is causing it ?

marcus_sommer

Mustn't the expression check the day instead the month:

if(day(max(Date)) <=day(Today()), color(rowno()), argb(0,0,0,0))

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Yes, you are right, but the one I tried was on YTD as I have the same problem in YTD chart (which shows month by month) . In both cases this doesn't seem to help

mtd issue 4.png

And more over, this assumes that I am always comparing against today. Looking at the case when the chosen month is March, it brings back the same number from Feb 28th to Feb 31st

mtd issue 23.png

Is it because I have  Day as Dimension and this is until 31st - its extending the rangesum until that day ?

Thanks,

marcus_sommer

Yes it seems that to change the color didn't worked properly but if you set these condition in the expression it should work:

if(day(max(Date)) <=day(Today()), YourExpression, null())

- Marcus

richard_pearce6
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your DM

As its using Day# as the dimension and the calculation is cumulative its continuing (flat line) within the chart.

My first solution to try would be what Marcus suggested. This should stop the calculation in its tracks.

If this isn't working I'll see if I can replicate it and come back to you with another solution.

Richard