Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ivandrago
Creator II
Creator II

Moving Columns and saving changes

Hi,

Is it possible for a user to move columns around on a table for their own specific order and save this information, so when they open the document again they are in the order they want it to be?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I don't think this is a very good answer, but they can clone the table as a user object, and then change it as much as they want.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
ivandrago
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I thought a bookmark would have done this but does not seem to keep the columns in order

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would have thought that the "Include Layout State" would have kept the order. It might be a bug or Working as designed, but I would let Support know.

JS

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I don't think this is a very good answer, but they can clone the table as a user object, and then change it as much as they want.

ivandrago
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Would they be able to delet the original table? Or would that always show or overlap?

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

No, they can't do anything with the real objects, including remove them. If their chart is the same size in the same place, they could set the layer to be above the other chart, and they'll never see the old one. There might also be a way using the show condition for the chart they're replacing. Not particularly friendly, but you could have a button to hide it. Or maybe give them a special tab to make their own tables on, and they can put their custom stuff there. Not sure.

ivandrago
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Ok I'll try that. So what does "Include Layout State" do? I thought it would do what I am after?

Not applicable

According to the "QlikView Help", this option should recall the sheet where the bookmark was created and store the state of all the objects within that sheet, for example, cyclic dimension postion or expanded dimension in a pivot table.

Regards

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

IvanDrago wrote:So what does "Include Layout State" do? I thought it would do what I am after?

I don't use bookmarks much, so this is just a frustrated user opinion instead of some expert analysis. As far as I can tell, what "Include Layout State" does is "never ever what I want it to do".

Not applicable

Not really a technical answer but this is the approach we took.

When we first encountered this problem the solution we took was to include a page called "scrapbook" on every application we released where the user had full access writes (not locked down on the server same as every other page), the user can then clone the information required move it to the scrapbook page and change it as much as they want. Since this is done through the server it is only saved on their scrapbook for next time they open it.

The most important thing we found was to stress to the users that if they change the chart the information contained becomes their responsibility and not that of the development department otherwise you will be running round everywhere validating peoples charts.