Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

NOW() function on the server

Hello,

So I am developing this app that has a limited space to work and so want so show a chart and a table on the same space.

To accomplish this I hide one object and show the other every 30 seconds.

I use two variables with the expression

hide = if(Second(Now(1))<=30,0,1)

show = if(Second(Now(1))<=30,1,0)

This work very well on the developing tool of QV but when I put the .qvw on the server, I no longer see the transition between objects.

I have made a test of putting a textbox with only the expression now(1) and on the developing tool I see the clock incrementing every second, but on the server it stops. If the browser is refreshed or I click anywhere on the page, the clock updates.

Does anyone know any workaround this? It seems to me to be an issue with the server and the now function.

Best regards.

Ivo

9 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Have you tried also the IE plugin?

Not applicable
Author

Hello swuehl,

I do not have the plugin installed.

Do you think it will make a difference?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Why not just now()? Try it.

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Ivo,

Now() doesn't change time instantly in Ajax mode (Normal mode), to make it work you have to use IE Plugin installed and you can see the time is changing.

Regarsd,

jagan.

HirisH_V7
Master
Master

you can try using some thing like this ,

=if(Second(Now())<=30,0,Date(Now())) &  if(Second(Now())<=30,0,Time(Now()))

But i think it may not work without IE .

regards,

Hirish

HirisH
“Aspire to Inspire before we Expire!”
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You would be better off putting the two objects in a container, and let the users switch between the objects at their own pace. What you are proposing would be annoying to the users if they wanted to look at the object for longer than 30 seconds, and equally annoying of they have to wait 30s for the object of interest to appear.

The only use-case I can see for such time-based automatic switching is for non-interactive display, for example, call statistics in a call centre on a large screen for all call agents to see their progress to a target.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

OK I will try to install the IE plugin to see if it works.

Just one quick question: I have to install the plugin on the client side, but the instalation needs to be made throug the server side, right?. How can I do this?

Thank you for the help.

Regards,

Ivo

Not applicable
Author

Hello Jonathan,

It is a non interactive display, that only shows statistics.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I think it's enough to open access point in IE, then you are asked to install the plugin (when IE client is enabled in QMC).