Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saxjonas
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Open URL from macro in QV9 Ajax client (tricky)

Hi everyone.

Since the ajax client doesn't support launching applications (due to browser restrictions) I have a bit of a problem.

I'm converting an application from 8.5 to 9.0 and going from IEPlugin to using ajax.

What it does

1. User makes a selection in a pivot table
2. A macro checks if the selection is such that there is only one possible value in the URL field. If so, the macro will use the Press function to press a button
3. The button then launches the IEXPLORE.EXE process with the URL field as a parameter.

This is highly ineffective in my opinion and would ideally be replaced with the Open URL action BUT it would still need the "only one value in URL" condition to trigger.

My possible solution

My initial thought was to use variables and then cause an Open URL action onInput/onChange of the variable. This almost works using the following:

1. User makes a selection in pivot table
2. A macro checks if the selection is such that there is only one possible value in the URL field. If so, it changes the value of a variable.
3. OnChange/OnInput of this variable triggers an action.

The problem is that this latter solution only works with non-external actions. I can use this perfectly with the "Activate Next Sheet" action, but it will fail if I try to use an external event such as "Run Macro", "Launch" or "Open URL". This seems very bug-like to me but I might be missing something.

My question

Are there any better solutions to what I'm trying to achieve? Remember that it must work in Ajax mode and open a URL when a selection is made in the pivot table AND the URL field only has one possible value.

If there aren't any better solutions, is it possible to do it with variables as I thought and I'm just missing something?

Thanks in advance.

0 Replies