Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Optimization?

Hi,

I am just looking through an app that is supposed to do some Quality-checking on the Background of another app to help in looking for the cause of a potential reload_failure ...

At the same time I am thinking about ways to maybe optimize this.

There is one IF_THEN_clause pretty much at the beginning using >> qvdcreatetime << of a rather large qvd - that takes quite a while - is there any way to get the same effect quicker?

Maybe I can store only the timestamp (>>NOW()) at the time that qvd is saved pretty much at the end of the daily script_run - would that  make it faster, if I only load a very small file to check that?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

P.S.: Moreover, this function is, afaIk, only used to decide whether there is such a qvd at all, the actual creation_time is not relevant - this IF_THEN is merely wrapped around a concat_load. That seems like a case of "if I were going there, I wouldn't be starting from here" to me, no?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
prieper
Master II
Master II

There are several functions to read meta-data from QVD,

below copied from OL-Help:

This may help, as they do not open the QVDs.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

I guess some Information - like the creation_time - are stored in the Header of a qvd, no? That is the question - I cannot answer that based on the help_file - if I just want to know whether a qvd with a given Name exists, what would be the most efficient method to find out?

P.S.: I just found another thread with a proposal from swuehl‌ using the >> Filelist << function. Might that be faster?

Well, I guess there's no better way to find out than trying. So let's see ...

tresesco
MVP
MVP

QvdCreateTime() - returns a timestamp of the file creation if the file exists, otherwise it returns a NULL. So you can check if the returned value is not-null, then the file exists, else - no such file. I am not sure - what exactly you are asking for.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Tresesco,

well, like the title of this thread is supposed to suggest, my question is about optimization - I know that this function can tell me whether or not the file exists, that's what it's supposed to do in this context - I just wonder whether this is the best possible way to get this Information? It seemed to take quite Long when I executed this in debug_mode - is there a way to do that quicker?

Best regards,

DataNibbler

P.S.: That solution by swuehl using >> FileList << seems to be a lot quicker indeed. That's just what we Need.

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Could you please share your script snippet that shows how exactly you are using that? I have just tested using the same function - with no significant time delay. A wild guess, are you using a network path for qvd?

Edit: Are you using a loop to check through folder hierarchy? If so, the loop itself could be the reason rather than the function, I guess.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Nope - it's on a Server, the path to the qvd is in a variable - I'll paste it all here, the qvd is in a sub-Folder in the same Directory as the qvw - that is one of our development_Standards here.

The qvd is huge - about 1.3 GB - that might be why it's taking longer than usual ...

That script block is as follows

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

// That path_variable has the value >> set vQVDPfadSchreiben = '.\QS_qvd\'; <<

// That table has been initiated with an >> autogenerate(0)  << beforehand

if qvdcreatetime('$(vQVDPfadSchreiben)QS_S4_Fehler.qvd')<>null() then

Concatenate (QS_S4_Fehler) load
from
$(vQVDPfadSchreiben)QS_S4_Fehler.qvd (qvd);

endif 

prieper
Master II
Master II

why do you think, it takes long?

Tested with some 30M rows, and returned resutl in less than 1 second ...

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Ah, well - it might just be me - but tell me, how do you quickly create a 1.3 GB qvd_file to test with?

That would be really helpful going Forward - that way we could test the "futurability" of our Scripting right away ...

P.S.: Funny, even after restarting, it now does run quite quickly - it did take Long when I did it for the first time - but that might have been for some other reason. Well, there's no Need for optimization then.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

prieper
Master II
Master II

Not really sure, but think that these kind of functions read only the XML-header of the files, for which you do not need to open the entire file.

tresesco
MVP
MVP

If that could be a possibility, using filesize() could be a better choice (hope, to calculate file size, the file has not be opened. But possible, qlik might use same XML header logic), Try it.