Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Possible to format line in chart legend?

I have formatted a line in a line chart as <S3> (dotted line).  However, in the legend it is the same color, but the style has not been applied.  Is it possible to format the style of the line in the legend?  I don't see an option, and I don't think it is, but I thought I'd check with the "experts" out there.

Thanks.

5 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I don't think you can format the line in the legend, but I could be wrong.

Not applicable
Author

I have raised this with QV support, and created an idea here (although I think this is really a bug).  The legend should be consistent with the chart - that's kind of the point of a legend!

Please vote... http://community.qlik.com/ideas/2233

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I agree that it's a bug, but QlikTech makes a habit of calling almost everything "working as designed".  To me, the only distinction is whether the programmers or the designers are at fault for the mistake.  As a customer, I couldn't care less who is at fault; I only want it fixed. 

While we're on the subject, the drop shadow under the line in the legend where there's no drop shadow under the line in the chart also strikes me as incorrect, even if it's obviously "working as designed".  I've also had cases, I think maybe when I've been using argb values, where the legend isn't the same color as the chart, but I don't have time to check the exact case.  In any case, the legend should be consistent with the chart, period.  All cases where it isn't are bad, as it makes it harder to understand the chart.  Now there's not much they can do if we start changing colors or styles of individual segments, but if all segments in a line are the same, the legend should match.

The link isn't working for me for whatever reason.  Might just be my computer.  IE was crashing on me earlier.

Not applicable
Author

Yes - support do pull the "it's by design" line a lot.  I agree with you - and I had this very debate with support the other day - it's either a bug, or incredibly poor design. 

There doesn't seem to be much appetite to improve the product from that perspective, which is disappointing.  I constantly get told by support to create an "idea" on the community site. It's incredibly frustrating.  Every other software vendor I've ever dealt with has a way of channelling sensible enhancement requests from their support desk through to product group/development.

Re: the URL - I think it's this site that is rewriting the URL [incorrectly] on the post - I have seen this before on mine, and other people's posts.  If you just copy the text of the URL "http://community.qlik.com/ideas/2233" to a browser - it should work.

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

OK, cutting and pasting the link worked.  Thanks.