Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike_landow
Partner - Contributor III

Previous Quarter Calculation

Hi all,

I'm trying to resolve an issue that I think should be fairly simple, but I can't seem to get my head around it.  Maybe I've just been staring at it too long.  I need to generate a "Starting" value based on the data set below to generate the shown pivot table (obv a very simple sample set).

order data.jpg

The "Start" amount should be, in essence, the "End" value of the previous quarter (sum(NewOrders)-sum(Invoices).  However, in order to ensure the proper flexibility of selection, I am trying to perform a calculation to generate this data set, using the order and invoice dates and the proper Quarters associated.  I think I just need to step away and maybe get a second set of eyes here, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Start = sum(<Previous Qtr> Order Amount) - sum(<Previous Qtr> Invoice Amt)

New = sum(Order Amount)

Inv = sum(Invoice Amt)

End = (Start+New)-Inv

I can also attempt to script a summary data set, but if it can be done in the table expressions, that would provide me the most value.

19 Replies
mike_landow
Author

Sample code attached.  Note that the Calendar has standard calendar fields and fiscal (ENT_ prefix).

I am not certain my code is correct either, so I am more than open to suggestions. 

As some additional thought processes, in reality, the calculation I need is the aggregation summation of (new orders)-(invoices) over the time period prior to the dimension of the table.  So, for say, Q1-2017, I would want the sum of all new orders - total invoices for all dates prior to the start of Q1-2017, which would give me my "Start" value.

sunny_talwar

Does that look right to you or not?

Capture.PNG

mike_landow
Author

I think that looks pretty good.  I think you hit on what I was missing, which is filling in the "gaps" in the date sequences to get the sequential quarters to work properly.

Let me work with this for a bit and I'll get back on here either way.

Thank you for all your help Sunny!

mike_landow
Author

Hi Sunny.  I think that this is very close, and I'm going to play around with it a little, but it appears to break down if we change the sort of the chart.  The chart needs to be sorted by Quarters asc, so Q4-2015, Q1-2016, Q2-2016, etc.

The chart you built works great, but the sorting is incorrect - Q1-2017, Q2-2016, Q3-2016.

If I change the sort order to align properly, the chart changes its presentation to this:

sort_order.jpg

If you look at Q2-2016, it sets the Start value to 0, because this is only looking at the previous quarter New/Inv data, but in reality, it needs to aggregate all the New/Inv numbers for all previous quarters.  That is another approach I am looking into.  To not necessarily focus on a quarter-by-quarter calculation, but just aggregating previous quarterly data over time.

sunny_talwar

If you change the sorting and you still want the same result, then you can use After instead of Before

Capture.PNG

mike_landow
Author

Still not quite right.  If you add the dimensions for LOB and Sales Order, the numbers don't add up.  I think this has to include some combination of the before/after expression, but also a RangeSum.

In essence, this is a rolling sum of the New-Inv amounts over time, presented within each Quarter. 

sunny_talwar

What is the output you expect to see? May be if I know the numbers I am able to get, I might be able to help better

mike_landow
Author

Hi Sunny.  I probably should have created a better sample screenshot at the initial post

Based on the mocked up data, this is roughly what I am trying to get created:

results.jpg

As you'll notice, the Start value for each quarter is, basically, the running total of (New-Inv) over the previous timeframes, and the End value is the addition of that Quarters (New-Inv).  So, it really is more of a running sum, than necessarily a Previous Quarter calculation.  And that is my mistake as to how I presented it in the initial thread.

The 0 values don't need to be displayed as such.  Nulls() are OK, as long as the overall numbers sum properly.

sunny_talwar

Here (besides some potential typos in your attachement above the expression seems to work) this seems to be working

Start

RangeSum(Before(Sum({<QuarterYear>}[Order Amount]), 1, ColumnNo())) - RangeSum(Before(Sum({<QuarterYear>}[Total Global Rev Amt]), 1, ColumnNo())) * Avg(TOTAL 1)

Capture.PNG

mike_landow
Author

Thank you Sunny!  (Guess I should have finished my morning coffee before trying to do math in my head to make that chart ).

This looks like it's working exactly as I need it.  Or, at least it gets me over the hurdle to move forward.  Thank you for all your help.  I really do appreciate it.

You're my hero for sure today!