Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Problem empty fields Excel

Hi,

I have a small Problem. My Data in Excel has 3 Colums: Company Holding, Companies' subsidiary, Amount.

Example

Company Holding : Apple, Companies subsidiary: Apple subsidiary 1, Apple subsidiary 2.

Some of the Company Holdings don't have subsidiaries, so there Amount in Excel is "-".

Company Holding: Microsoft , Companies subsidiary : -

Problem: When I take a selection direct In box 2 with the subsidiarys, the "-" is not displayed and so the total amount is not considering the amount of Microsoft. Does anybody have an idea how to solve this problem?

6 Replies
maxgro
MVP
MVP

A solution could be to replace '-' or empty or null with somwthing the user can understand

UNKNOW, NOT AVAIL, ....

if( [yourcompanysubfield] = '-', 'UNKNOWN', [yourcompanysubfield]) as [yourcompanysubfield]

or

if( len(trim([yourcompanysubfield])) = 0, 'UNKNOWN', [yourcompanysubfield]) as [yourcompanysubfield]

Not applicable
Author

Thanks @maxgro for your help.

I tried both strings in the loading script:

LOAD
if( [yourcompanysubfield] = '-', 'UNKNOWN', [yourcompanysubfield]) as [yourcompanysubfield],
if( len(trim([yourcompanysubfield])) = 0, 'UNKNOWN', [yourcompanysubfield]) as [yourcompanysubfield]

but both don't work. Does someone have another idea?

May the problem be, that the data source is a *.qvw file?

Binary

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Try at script end, like:

load

Company Holding,

if([Companies' subsidiary]='-' or [Companies' subsidiary]=' ','NoSubsidiary', [Companies' subsidiary]) as [Companies' subsidiary]

Amount

From YourTable;

Now at UI level if you select any company where their is no subsidiary, you will get NoSubsidiary

maxgro
MVP
MVP

post  your excel, it would be simpler to help you

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your support. The dataset is from my company, so I can't post it here.

The Problem is, that I get my Data by binary load from an other QVW.

So your provided solutions don't work.

Beginning of the script :

Binary

Is it possible to transform the interpretation of that original script ´by replacing missing values by 'UNKNOWN'?

maxgro
MVP
MVP

you can do a resident load of the tables your binary loaded

binary ...............;

// if you have a table YourTable

NewYourTable:

noconcatenate

load ....................               / / replace null with unknown

resident YourTable;

drop table YourTable;

rename table NewYourTable to YourTable;