Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patroser
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Problem sorting chart with conditional expressions

Hi there,

I've an issue sorting my chart.

The use case is, that I have a chart calculating values for the last 12/24 rolling months or 4/8 rolling quarters. Therefore my chart shows wheter 4, 8, 12 or 24 columns, depending on the selection of type (quarterly/monthly) and duration (12/24 months).
To sum those values up I've got one more expression calculating the total of the last 12/24 rolling months or 4/8 rolling quarters.

I'd like to always sort my chart by this total column, but as soon as I change one of the options type or duration the chart loses the sort setting of sorting by this Total column descending.

Attached you can find a sample application with the same problem.

I'd like to sort by the total column, therefore I change the priority of the total column in the chart to the top and select sort by numeric value descending.

As soon as i switch the type, the sort order is set to default again.

Any suggestions how I could avoid this problem?
I don't want to change the straight table to a pivot chart.

Thanks in advance

Patrick

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sasiparupudi1
Master III
Master III

Hi

Since you are conditionally manipulating the number of columns that are displayed in the table, the sort order is getting changed ..

I think one way to get your sorting priority constant, You need to promote your total to the top of the list in the expressions tab and set the sorting priority. This should work if you do not have a problem in displaying the total column first in the grid

SortOrder.png

SortOrder1.png

View solution in original post

13 Replies
sunny_talwar

Try this:

Capture.PNG

Best,

Sunny

patroser
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

I already took this Option into account.

Unfortunately this brings up another problem. I've got more than just one dimension.

Sorting dim1 by expression leads to the total column not being sorted completely descending. I'm writing from my smart phone, I hope I can explain the example properly:

Dimension1Dimension2Total
Customer 5variant 02534
Customer 5variant 01236
Customer 23variant 02610
Customer 23variant 0134
Customer 23variant 0327
Customer 13variant 03465
Customer 13variant 0168

But the sort order I would like to have is:

Thanks

Patrick

sunny_talwar

I see what you are saying now. While looking for a permanent solution still, I can suggest a work around of placing two charts on top of each other and conditionally hide and show them based on your GetCurrentField() selection.

sunny_talwar

Although still a work around, but its better than having two charts. Using the following script I created a new field with a combination of Dimension1&Dimension2 and called it sort

Table:

LOAD Dimension1,

Dimension2,

Total as Value,

Dimension1&Dimension2 as Sort

FROM

[https://community.qlik.com/thread/169261]

(html, codepage is 1252, embedded labels, table is @1);

Added Sort as a dimension for you chart and hide it and use a expression sort on this new field.

Seems to work, see if this is helpful.

Best,

Sunny

patroser
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Thanks for your help, I think I'm going to discuss this topic with my client again.

Could be the sort by expression is still enough for him.

If it's not enough I'll need to calculate everything in the script.

Thanks!

Patrick

patroser
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

But still I'd like to know if this behaviour is as expected or not.

sunny_talwar

I am not sure if this is the intended behavior, but I have seen that this is what I have seen for some of the other charts I have made within the applications I have worked on. But since there was never an importance on getting the sorting right, I never worked on getting it right for more than 5-10 mins and moved on with what I got.

sasiparupudi1
Master III
Master III

Hi

Since you are conditionally manipulating the number of columns that are displayed in the table, the sort order is getting changed ..

I think one way to get your sorting priority constant, You need to promote your total to the top of the list in the expressions tab and set the sorting priority. This should work if you do not have a problem in displaying the total column first in the grid

SortOrder.png

SortOrder1.png

settu_periasamy
Master III
Master III

Hi,

Can you try the below attachment.