Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Problems with data structure

Hi everyone,

I'm having some problems with how too structure the data. We're using Qlikview to follow up our ticket system BMC Remedy.

I started having problems when I have too many tables that "have" to be linked to each other.

Here's some pictures to help you understand my problem.

QV-Q.JPG

I have 5 tables with data. 3 of them (incident, change, problem) contains all the tickets and Incident_Assciation and Task contains some ticket information but also a "relationship" value to the other tickets.

This is how our data model looks right now:

QV-Q2.JPG

The Incident_Assocation contains both two values, $Related_INC which is the original ticket and $Related which is a Problem or Change ticket. The problem now is that I also want the Task information to get linked with these tables. It contains TaskID and Related_to which is a Incident, Change or Problem ticket number. When I try to link these tables I get a loop.

Which is the best approach to fix build this data model?

Heres a pictures of some dummy values to help see what I mean:

QV-Q3.JPG

Sorry for type-o's and such, English isn't my main language.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Hi Christian,

I don't fully understand your issue, but apparently, that table has fields that should actually be linked to two different tables, which will give you a loop. So you can link it to only one table, but that way some flexibility will be lost. Is that about right?

=> In that case, mapping instead of joining would be an optimal solution, at least I think so because it seems that in that table there are only two fields (as in a lot of your tables, is that right)?

Are they both unique keys (when you hover over the field in the Table_viewer, does it read either "Perfect key" or "Primary key"?) That is a prerequisite for the mapping to work as expected.

=> If that is the case, mapping will allow you to transfer one field from one table to another without physically joining (or linking) them.

There is a related blog_post on that issue around. Have a read on that.

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Hi Christian,

I don't fully understand your issue, but apparently, that table has fields that should actually be linked to two different tables, which will give you a loop. So you can link it to only one table, but that way some flexibility will be lost. Is that about right?

=> In that case, mapping instead of joining would be an optimal solution, at least I think so because it seems that in that table there are only two fields (as in a lot of your tables, is that right)?

Are they both unique keys (when you hover over the field in the Table_viewer, does it read either "Perfect key" or "Primary key"?) That is a prerequisite for the mapping to work as expected.

=> If that is the case, mapping will allow you to transfer one field from one table to another without physically joining (or linking) them.

There is a related blog_post on that issue around. Have a read on that.

HTH

Not applicable
Author

Hi DataNibbler,

I'm sorry for the poor explanation. Seems about right wwhat you are saying. I'll check out the thing you mentioned about mapping and see if that helps.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Christian