Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Prohibit Global Filter w/o Using Set Analysis

Situation: I have a document with several tabs and several objects within each tab, all together probably 40 charts. I have standard list boxes which I call "Global Filters" on the most common dimensional attributes. As we all know when they click a "Global FIlter" value all of the objects are filtered appropriatly.

Challenge: For one and only one chart they want a special filter that at such a low grain I don't want to include it as a "Global Filter". The behavior I would like to see is that when they click on this report a new list box comes up (which I can do using conditional show) allowing them to filter data in chart. Problem is that when they click on a different tab or report this filter will still remain as a "Global Filter" and they won't understand why.

I need a way to REMOVE a selection based on an event, for example when they click on a new tab or they click on a new report (within each tab I am listing a set of report names that when they click they see a different object). Is the only way to do this using a Macro? I have never used Macro's so if possible I would like to use the native Qlikiview functionalities.

Also as the subject states I understand you can use Set Analysis to ignore the dimension value selected, using an opened ended "=" sign, but I do not want to have to do this for every single object in my document.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You have a couple of options:

1. You can use an Action and trigger it on "deactivate" event for the chart (Sheet Properties - Triggers), to clear the selection when this specific chart is losing focus. Even though there is no specific action to clear a single field, you can still do it by using an action "Select" and selecting a string '*'.

2. You can create an "island" field and use Set Analysis just for this single chart, to force a selection just for this specific chart. Since the "island" field is not linked to the rest of the data, no other charts will be affected. If you always needed a single value, you could even get by with a Variable, instead of an island field.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You have a couple of options:

1. You can use an Action and trigger it on "deactivate" event for the chart (Sheet Properties - Triggers), to clear the selection when this specific chart is losing focus. Even though there is no specific action to clear a single field, you can still do it by using an action "Select" and selecting a string '*'.

2. You can create an "island" field and use Set Analysis just for this single chart, to force a selection just for this specific chart. Since the "island" field is not linked to the rest of the data, no other charts will be affected. If you always needed a single value, you could even get by with a Variable, instead of an island field.

Not applicable
Author

Oleg brilliant, exactly what I was looking for. So playing around with the Sheet triggers I actually had to create two, one for the object and one for on leave sheet. The one for the object works only if you deactive the list box which one might not do if your going from tab to tab. So a second trigger was needed on the leave sheet event so that if the list box isn't deactivated and a user goes from one sheet to another the value is reset.

Thanks again for your response, saved me a lot of grief.

DB