Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pulling data from multiple excel

Hello All,

I have 4 excel files namely A, B , C and D

I want to pull only certain column from each excel file.

I know how to pull all column from all excel files.

But how can I pull only certain columns from each excel file. For example:

I want only Column 2, 3 from Excel A; Column 5 from Excel B and Column 1 and 8 from Excel C etc.

How to achieve this in Qlikview

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qlikwiz123
Creator III
Creator III

Yes. That's correct. You need to load each Excel file at once, and give different names for every table. While loading every excel, just select the columns you want to keep and remove the unwanted ones.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
qlikwiz123
Creator III
Creator III

Hi,

The simplest way is to go into the Script tab and select Table Files in the bottom pane. Select the Excel file you want to extract data from. This will open a window with all the columns and data in them. You will find a 'X' option on the right end corner of every column. You can delete those you don't want to include in your data extract. Also, if you want Excel labels to be included, you can change that from the Labels option.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I am very familiar with that. I am also familiar with extracting details from multiple excels with multiple sheet.

But the problem is, qlikview extracts all the columns from all the sheets from all the excel.

PowerBi gives the option to delete unwanted data after the excels are read. But there are no such option in QlikView. The procedure you told can be done when extracting 1 excel file. How can i remove columns or select only those columns when we are extracting data from multiple excel file is my question.

Regards,

Siva

qlikwiz123
Creator III
Creator III

What I told you gives you the option to pull in only the desired columns from the Excel Files, unless you are talking about rows.

You can repeat the same step for every Excel file. Also, you can simply delete the Column names from the load script and keep only those you need.

I kinda don't understand why you say it is not possible to extract selected columns from multiple excel files.

shiveshsingh
Master
Master

can you share the data and required output? you can load all the excels, add flag or whatever and pull the required columns from different tables.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Oh ok. Thanks. All these days i had  a single script that pulls all the excel file from a folder upon running the script. I have not been selecting multiple excel by clicking "tables" multiple times

So what you mean to say that,

Click Table --> Select Excel file --> edit columns.

And repeat the same step for every excel file that i want to add and then click "Reload" right ?

shiveshsingh
Master
Master

Yes, give different excels different table names.

else share the excel, then i can understand more and you can get better answers

qlikwiz123
Creator III
Creator III

Yes. That's correct. You need to load each Excel file at once, and give different names for every table. While loading every excel, just select the columns you want to keep and remove the unwanted ones.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks a ton

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks shivesh