Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QLikVIew reference to a Calculated Dimension in another Calculated Dimension

Is it possible to refer to a Calculated Dimension in another Calculated Dimension in a Pivot Table ? Can ValueList() be used for this usage, and what would be the appropriate syntax for it ?

I cannot use the script for this, and I cannot create a new variable either.

I cannot copy the whole expression for the first calculated dimension in the expression for the second calculated dimension as both expression are very expensive (pick(match(...)).

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

No, that's not possible. The scope of a calculated dimension is the chart it is defined in.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

No, that's not possible. The scope of a calculated dimension is the chart it is defined in.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
marcus_sommer

I'm quite sure this isn't possible - you will have to concat the two calculations into one dimension. Perhaps you could simplify your calculations with some script pre-calculations or chained this dimensions on calculations/visible-conditions or used several calculated dimensions with visible conditions ....

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

I would like to use the first calculated dimension in the expression of a second calculated dimension IN THE SAME CHART --> is it possible then ?

thanks for your input

marcus_sommer

No, you couldn't set a reference to a calculated dimension - but you could integrate these calculation into your expression calculation. This could be very complex so it is worth to think on other simpler ways to reach your aim.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

This is working copying the expression in the other dimension

Thanks for your answers all

sarahallen1
Creator II
Creator II

Do you have any suggestions when the calculated dimension is AGGR and doesn't work the same way as an expression?

I've attached an example QVW showing a problem I'm working on.  Please read the notes in the text boxes to see what my problem is and what I've tried.

I want a 'data availability check' type of thing, which is used by other expressions to give warnings.  I tried to put the check as an expression but it doesn't work as it needs to ignore one of the dimensions (my set analysis here doesn't work as expected with <FieldToIgnore=> because I think it's in the dimension).  But then when it's a calculated dimension instead with aggr, I can't refer to it in the expressions.

I know that putting the check field or something in the script would be recommended but my data model is a lot more complicated than what I've put in this example (sorry I can't share the real example for privacy reasons) and I'd really like to achieve it in the front end if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!

sarahallen1
Creator II
Creator II

stalwar1‌ has answered my question here (the solution was not to use a calculated dimension so it might not help @qlik_template out, but it helped me!) https://community.qlik.com/message/1072137?et=watches.email.thread#1072137