Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikView Sample Project Plan

Good afternoon

I know that most implementations of QlikView are really quick but I've been asked to submit a project plan and wondered if anyone has a sample project plan they can send me. I want to make sure that nothing is forgotten and as I have only seen and given demos, I don't want to miss out any of the requirements that could be technical, software or hardware or any others.

Thanks

Lin

3 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Well, I've never had to put together a project plan for a QlikView project. But let me see if I can come up with a typical implementation that assumes the source data already exists:

• meet with users to discuss what sort of data and reports they want to see (very high level)
  • add any missing QVDs
  • add any missing fields to existing QVDs
  • write script to load the data in a friendly reporting format like star schema
  • put a big multibox and a couple very basic reports on a tab
  • install
  • let the users know it is available to look at
  • meet again with users as soon as possible
    • figure out what additional fields of data they want
    • discuss changes to the reports and new reports they might want
  • make the changes
  • install
  • let the users know it is available to look at
  • get input via phone or email
  • possible additional meeting if necessary (usually not necessary)
  • make the changes
  • install
  • repeat the change and install cycle until the system is considered good enough to be called complete
  • remaining maintenance still follows the same cycle

Basically, the process is a lot more iterative than most software development projects I've been on, with a lot fewer requirements solicited up front. The first install is usually very soon after the first meeting, assuming that most of the data is available. It can take longer if the data is very hard to pull out of the business system. After that, you're just refining that initial prototype until the users are happy with it. Documentation has been nonexistent. I've never written a formal requirements document. I've never written a document to explain how to use the system. I follow the philosophy that the only way to get the true requirements is to get the users USING the prototype. That's when they'll tell you what they really want, and not before. So the prototype has to be useful enough that they'll use it, but not much more than that. I always want to get something useful in front of them as soon as possible.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks John!

Not applicable
Author

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has any project template for QV requirements?

I always work with template in WORD, and very often, the requirement'er' tend to miss out info which is needed for the developer, like is this a line chart or a combo? or what are the dimension needed? the formular...etc

so now i'm thinking of creating a template in EXCEL. then list out all the configuration needed for the screen (like those in Properties of chart etc....)

if you already have something, could you share?

Thanks.