Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikView Server not starting

Hi everyone,

I am creating a QlikView cluster with my Server on one machine, my Publisher on the other and IIS on the third. All these machines are in the same domain. I have the services logged in as the domain name + administrator on my QVS:

qv2.png

The QDS starts no problem on my domain account... When I attempt to start the QVS service with the same account/pw this error is thrown (1053):

qv1.png

I am at a loss as to why this is happening. I did some research and made sure I was updated to .net 4.5 and I changed the service tunnel timeout in the Registry to 180000. I don't think this error is exactly accurate as it throws immediately instead of waiting the allotted time (30s at the start, after I changed it, 180 seconds). Either way, I have looked all over for a fix to this and I'm at a loss. I am using a domain controller on a separate server that has no QlikView services or instances installed (considering you can't install QVS on a domain controller anymore for some reason).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as I cannot connect to the QVS from the QMC "system > setup > QlikView servers" tab without QVS service being run as the domain username.

Thank you!

Joe

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Two things needed to be done in order to get this working.

1. Make SURE that the domain controller service user (in this case, administrator on the domain controller computer) is a part of the Local Administrators group AND the QlikView Administrators group

2. This is the weird one: Sometimes, in order to get services running, you have to either rename or delete the folder the service creates in C:\ProgramData\QlikTech. Make sure to stop your services before you change the folder and then restart after. This has to do with certain permissions on windows when using a different account on these services other than the local QlikView service account or local Admin account.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Two things needed to be done in order to get this working.

1. Make SURE that the domain controller service user (in this case, administrator on the domain controller computer) is a part of the Local Administrators group AND the QlikView Administrators group

2. This is the weird one: Sometimes, in order to get services running, you have to either rename or delete the folder the service creates in C:\ProgramData\QlikTech. Make sure to stop your services before you change the folder and then restart after. This has to do with certain permissions on windows when using a different account on these services other than the local QlikView service account or local Admin account.

kswindlehurst
Contributor III
Contributor III

How is this not covered in the manual?  It's inexcusable. 

When does the installer create Windows group QlikViewAdministrators?  I was getting a "cannot find server error" at step 9 which is probably attributable to not having the service account in the group.  Clicking Next must initiate some kind of account validation.  So they really need to address step 11 before 9, AND if the QlikViewAdministrators group option is chosen, TELL US to add the service account to the group before proceeding. 

4) Installing QlikView Server

9.  Set the account that the QlikView Server and Publisher services are to run under. Click Next to continue.

11. Select the Service Authentication method:

- Use QlikView Administrators Group: Authenticate communication between QlikView services based on membership in the local Windows group QlikViewAdministrators. This alternative can be used in environments where all servers that are part of the QlikView installation can authenticate using a common Windows Active Directory.