Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. IMPORTANT DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikView doesn't send alerts via e-mail until the file is open

Hello.

I've made a file with an alert system, and this file is reloaded via batch file every 15 minutes. Everything is working except one thing: I don't receive e-mail until I open the file in QlikView. If, when I open, the alert should be triggered, I get the mail, but I don't get it when the file is just updated.

My settings are the same as the ones in this screenshot, with the difference that I don't have any bookmark and "All clear" is flagged:

Do you have any clue, please?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I had not used Alerts with command line reloading, but I just tested and it worked fine. I tested with QV9 SR6.

I could reproduce the behavior where the alert was not sent until the document was opened again from the client. That happened when "Mode =Interactive" was checked.

Here's a couple things for you to check:

1. Make sure Mode = Batch is checked (item #5 in the picture).

2. That the email settings are set up for the userid and machine running the scheduled command. Test a command line reload with your id on your machine to see if this the problem.

-Rob

View solution in original post

11 Replies
danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Luca, I'm sorry to tell you Publisher doesn't trigger any alerts.

The "On Post Reload" option only works when you do the reload using the qv.exe.

Solution: don't reload the document on publisher, use another document and do a execute qv.exe /r file.qvw.

suniljain
Master
Master

I faced same probelm. But on open event I set the mail sending process and it works fine without any error.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Daniel Rozental wrote:
Luca, I'm sorry to tell you Publisher doesn't trigger any alerts.
The "On Post Reload" option only works when you do the reload using the qv.exe.

QV Publisher V9 does indeed run "On Post Reload" alerts. It was supposed to in 8.5 as well, but I frequently had problems in 8.5.

Is your mail server set up correctly in the QVS settings?

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Thank you all for the replies.

I have QV Desktop edition (I don't have any server edition of QlikView) and I reload data with the following command, scheduled via Windows scheduled tasks:

C:\Program files\QlikView\qv.exe /r "<path>\<filename>.qvw"

The e-mail server is set up correctly since my QVW file sends e-mails once the file is open, but it doesn't when the file is closed and reloaded via batched command line.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I had not used Alerts with command line reloading, but I just tested and it worked fine. I tested with QV9 SR6.

I could reproduce the behavior where the alert was not sent until the document was opened again from the client. That happened when "Mode =Interactive" was checked.

Here's a couple things for you to check:

1. Make sure Mode = Batch is checked (item #5 in the picture).

2. That the email settings are set up for the userid and machine running the scheduled command. Test a command line reload with your id on your machine to see if this the problem.

-Rob

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

I'm glad to be wrong then, thanks for correcting me Rob.

Not applicable
Author

Rob Wunderlich wrote:
2. That the email settings are set up for the userid and machine running the scheduled command. Test a command line reload with your id on your machine to see if this the problem. <div></div>

That's the key! Thank you very much, Rob.
E-mail settings are user related, not document or machine related, therefore that was they key. The user on behave of whom the batch runs didn't have any setting.

Thank you again, guys, for your help.

arthur
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Is the alert via email still working in QlikView Server 10 SR2? I configured and tested the mail at QEMC > System > Setup > Mail Server > General and I am trying to make it work, but without success. In the desktop it fires the email (if interactive mode is checked), but not from reload in QVS. There is no Publisher license in this server. Is this required?

Thanks,

Arthur

Not applicable
Author

What did people find as the solution???

Send alert after QMC reload not working