Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fishing_weights
Contributor III
Contributor III

QlikView equivalent of Python's List to store field's names as a variable and then used to load a dataset

Hi all

I have a list of field names that I would like to store in a variable/ list and then used to load datasets from the server.

example 

vlistofFieldNames = ('F1','F2','F3','F4','F5')

then to load my datasets. Example:

[Table1]:

SELECT vlistofFieldNames

FROM database_1

WHERE date = '2023-01-01';

[Table2]:

SELECT vlistofFieldNames

FROM database_2

WHERE date = '2023-01-01';

Is that possible and what would the syntax be like? Thanks in advance

Labels (2)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

It's possible and there are probably multiple ways to specify the creating and calling of the variable. Personally I use mostly;

set vlistofFieldNames = "text([F1]) as [Fx],[F2] as [Fy],[F3],[F4],[F5]";

[Table1]: load $(vlistofFieldNames) from ...

which means not only fieldnames else entire (load) statements could be specified. By loading from a data-base you need of course using their wrapping- and functions-syntax/portfolio.

View solution in original post

marcus_sommer

Not in this sense because the variable here is a string and not an array or a list. This means it would need something like:

let var = replace('$(var)', '[F5]', '');

but depending on the position of the entry you may need to remove also a comma respectively by multiple entries and/or more complex logic some extra checks and handling.

An alternatively may be to load the field-list in a table, like:

t1: load * inline [
F
F1
F2 as F3
];

and then something:

t2: load concat(F, ',') as X resident t1;

let var = peek('X', 0, 't2');

The tables could be now regarded as array and not wanted fields/statements could be removed with a where-clause.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
marcus_sommer

It's possible and there are probably multiple ways to specify the creating and calling of the variable. Personally I use mostly;

[Table1]: load $(vlistofFieldNames) from ...

which means not only fieldnames else entire (load) statements could be specified. By loading from a data-base you need of course using their wrapping- and functions-syntax/portfolio.

fishing_weights
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

@marcus_sommer  Thank you very much !

A follow up question, is there a way to remove a field/value in code from the variable?

Example I declared:

but since one or two datasets out of 100 does not have the field: F5, 

can I do the python equivalent of : vlistofFieldNames. drop("F5")

resulting in my variable becoming vlistofFieldNames = "text([F1]) as [Fx],[F2] as [Fy],[F3],[F4]";

marcus_sommer

Not in this sense because the variable here is a string and not an array or a list. This means it would need something like:

let var = replace('$(var)', '[F5]', '');

but depending on the position of the entry you may need to remove also a comma respectively by multiple entries and/or more complex logic some extra checks and handling.

An alternatively may be to load the field-list in a table, like:

t1: load * inline [
F
F1
F2 as F3
];

and then something:

t2: load concat(F, ',') as X resident t1;

let var = peek('X', 0, 't2');

The tables could be now regarded as array and not wanted fields/statements could be removed with a where-clause.