Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richnorris
Creator II
Creator II

Qlikview Personal Edition cant open any files

Hi! 

I had a few dashboards that I'd made with Personal Edition for a portfolio, and came to want to re-use them since I'm looking for work again. Unfortunately trying to open them I was just met with "Failed to open" errors. 

Hang on though! I can almost hear you linking the usual methods to fix this from here! Thank you, but none of those work! What's more, if I create a new dashboard, save it, and go to open it? I get the same issue.

I've uninstalled QV and restarted, no good. 

I've uninstalled, manually purged all instances of anything mentioning 'Qlik' from the registry, and restarted, no good.

Qlikview just doesn't seem to be able to open any files on my machine at all? What's super frustrating is that about a month ago I managed to open one of them just fine. 

Anyone got any other tips or suggestions? I'm kind of at my wit's end since I've got interviews coming up and I'm fairly sure they're going to ask me to see some of my work. Any help would be massively appreciated!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vegar
MVP
MVP

An re install might Change the license causing trouble opening an old app,  but you should not hade any issues with an app create with the new installation. 

Did you install it as an admin?

I have no further suggestion for you. Nest step would be Qlik Support, but I'm not sure how they handle the support on the free personal desktop edition. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Vegar
MVP
MVP

Are you able to create new documents with your QV Desktop? Are you able to open them? Could it be that the root of your problem lies in the limitation of personal edition. It is designed only to open application that you self made with just that  desktop client installation. 

Another thougt. Do you remember if your applications have Section Access implemented? Could it be the SA that is causing your problem.

richnorris
Creator II
Creator II
Author

So, to be clear:

I did a full clear of QV

Did a fresh install of a QV Personal Edition

Create a blank document, with a comment or something so that I can check it, and save it

It will not open "Failed to open document".

I self made all the other applications, but I can't open new ones either. 

Vegar
MVP
MVP

Sounds really odd. 

What about posting a copy of your blank document with a comment or simle data model to this post? Then we can check if there is something wrong with the qvw file.

What about prj-folders. Do you have prj-folders for your qvw files? Any difference when using/not using the prj folder?

richnorris
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Oh, that's a good idea! Yeah, please find attached a doc I created with a comment in it. 

I haven't tried creating PRJ files yet, but, for existing ones, I don't have any PRJ files. I'll try that too!

Vegar
MVP
MVP

No problems opening your file. There is something wrong in your opening process on your computer. 

Vegar_0-1627575131303.png

A wild shot, buy have you checked the file access rights for your user. Do you have read and execute rights for the qvw file?

richnorris
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Ok, thanks, that at least narrows it down somewhat! 

I have checked the access, yeah, I made sure to open as administrator. I think it's got to be something to do with the Personal Edition limitations getting confused, because about a month ago I opened one of the older files just fine, and I hadn't changed anything about the install when it started failing. (I have since reinstalled a couple of times). 

Vegar
MVP
MVP

An re install might Change the license causing trouble opening an old app,  but you should not hade any issues with an app create with the new installation. 

Did you install it as an admin?

I have no further suggestion for you. Nest step would be Qlik Support, but I'm not sure how they handle the support on the free personal desktop edition.