Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlikview Suggestions

Just a few suggestions I have observed in my limited (2-months) of use of this application:

1.) make available a "calculate" or "query" button so that when the user clicks on each filter to specify the information they need, the application does not run the query until the user presses the "query" button

2.) allow dynamic filtering on the filters. for example, if a filter is setup listing people's salaries, then the user should be able to enter in something like, "> 50,000", rather than having to select all available salaries. this could also work for text listings: e.g. on a state filter, return all states than begin with the letter "M"

3.) when running a query, show a time-elapsed box with a "cancel" button so that the user can cancel the query if they choose

if these options are already available, can someone please tell me how to enable them?

thanks!

4 Replies
Not applicable
Author

jco,

I'd like others to chime in as well, but I'll try my best to answer; your terminology is different from what I'm used to, so please forgive me if I misunderstand any of your questions:

1) It sounds like you want QlikView to "wait" before filtering data based on selections until a user makes all their desired selections. While there might be a way to do this, this isn't really what QlikView is about; QV dynamically filters available (associated) data after each selection; instead of users having to click "Nevada" and "50,000" to get a null result, simply clicking Nevada and seeing that 50,000 is not associated with that selection gives them the answer they need. This way, we save time and frustration from users receiving no results from their queries.

2) The search in listboxes does support "dynamic filters"; in a list box containing numeric values, say salaries, click on the caption of the list box and begin typing *>50,000", and you will see all results above 50,000.

3) Queries (selections) are made usually in a split-second in QlikView (unless you're dealing with tons of data); are you referring to the time spent on reload?

Hopefully I'm not way off base here, and I hope I've somewhat answered your questions...please let me know!

Not applicable
Author

thanks Jason, you're pretty much on target with each.

my suggestions were for future additions to the application that could make our experience less frustrating (that's not to say that we are not satisfied with the tool, as we are very satisfied).

regarding #1, why not just have a button that allows us to enable/disable that feature? with the amount fo data that we use, we spend more time waiting for the application to filter before making our next selection rather than the application calculating our options. we have tried bookmarking, which works sometimes, but other times it falls short

regrarding #2, this could create a fallout if we create a bookmark, should, say for example an employee's salary is 50,001. this person will not appear in the following year's report b/c the bookmark selected 50,000, 51,000, etc....

regarding #3, I am referring to both time spent on reload and opening a chart. as I mentioned above, we work with a TON of data - thus the reason why we are using Qlikview

thanks for your help...

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

In regards to #3, while most charts I have display in an instant, some do not. My worst offenders probably take 20 to 30 seconds to display if applied to the entire set of data. I'm currently using 8.5. If I remember correctly, version 8.2 ALWAYS displayed the chart immediately. If it wasn't yet calculated, it would ALWAYS show a progress bar and a cancel button.

In 8.5, sometimes this happens, and sometimes the chart simply doesn't show up until it is calculated. I VASTLY preferred the 8.2 approach. First, you immediately saw the layout of the objects on the screen, and knew that they were all there, even while you waited for the calculation to complete. Second, if you made a mistake in your selections, or clicked on the wrong tab, you didn't have to sit there for half a minute waiting for the chart to appear. You could cancel it and move on.

I haven't checked any of my big charts in 9.0, so don't know how they'll behave.

Edit: On first glance, 9.0 seems like 8.5. Most of the time, I don't see a progress bar and cancel button, even on charts that take a long time to display. Sometimes I do. I was even able to cancel a few charts. But it doesn't seem to be consistent. Charts also sometimes appear as a featureless gray box while they calculate. At other times they don't appear at all until done (or perhaps they appear as white, which is my normal background color).

Not applicable
Author

Here's a suggestion:

Improve tool-tips on charts:

- sync their zoom with page zoom

- possibility to show text AND picture inside, maybe even mini-charts