Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
soton34
Contributor III
Contributor III

Qlikview Variable List

Dear All

My variable list has become somewhat unwieldy in recent months and I want to do a cleanse of unused or superseded variables.

So, 2 questions really:

1) Can I export a list of Variable and Values to Excel so that I can search to see what variables I have and where they may be cross-referencing

and

2) Can I find what Variables are 'Live' by seeing where it is being used.

I look forward to your help so that I can engage in some 'Spring Cleaning'

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable

[View:http://community.qlik.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/11/6835.List_5F00_QV_5F00_Variables.xls:550:0]

The attached Excel spreadsheet will help you list out all of your document variables and their values. For an analysis of where they are used you should search this forum for the DocumentAnalyzer (from Rob Wunderlich).

Good luck-

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Not applicable

[View:http://community.qlik.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/11/6835.List_5F00_QV_5F00_Variables.xls:550:0]

The attached Excel spreadsheet will help you list out all of your document variables and their values. For an analysis of where they are used you should search this forum for the DocumentAnalyzer (from Rob Wunderlich).

Good luck-

soton34
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Dear Tim

Many thanks for your prompt and fantastic reply.

Once I had overcome a few issues of variable length exceeding the field size in Excel I now have a complete list. You have saved me many hours of copying and pasting!

Rob's DocumentAnalyzer is also useful but doesn't tell me where Variables are used, only Fields from the import script. Do you happen to have any other ideas as to how to find out if there are any unused variables?

Again, many thanks

Sam

Not applicable

The Expression Overview (from the menu select Settings->Expression Overview) has a search button that will let you search through all expressions for a variable name and that will tell you where the variable is used. Other than searching for each one of them, though, I don't know of any way to identify unused variables. The good news is that unused variables don't cause much trouble- they use up a little memory but they don't interfere with anything.

Not applicable

Tim, 

The link of the excel file is not working for me, can you mail it or attach it again please?

Thanks,

D

Not applicable

Hi Tim,

There is no excel document atteched to the link anymore. Can you please attach it once again. I wouth be oblized.

Regards,

Abha