Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about MAX in combination with Date-function

Dear experts,

Probebly an easy on for you but I am pretty new with this and I haven't found answer here yet so I was hoping somebody could help me with this.

What I need is a count of ID's, from a curten day (in this case the day before the last day in the data) .

One of the sugesstions I found here was:

COUNT ({$<[Picklisten.PickdatumDag]={$(='"='&DATE(MAX([Picklisten.PickdatumDag]-1))&'"')}>} [Picklisten.Picklijstnummer])

But this returns the total Count of all ID's (as in " Count ([Picklisten.Picklijstnummer]) "

[Picklisten.PickdatumDag] = a field from SQL database with a timestamp

[Picklisten.Picklijstnummer] = a field from SQL database with Unique ID's

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Dennis,

Use Floor() instead of Round(). It should get the value as you want.

Regards.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Nobody?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

Try the following

COUNT ({$<[Picklisten.PickdatumDag]={'$(=DATE(MAX([Picklisten.PickdatumDag]-1)))'}>} [Picklisten.Picklijstnummer])

I've modified a bit your original syntax. I've enclosed as weel the date(max()) expression in simple quotes, it should work that way. Anyway, try first in a new text object that

=DATE(MAX([Picklisten.PickdatumDag]-1))

Returns as expected.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

In your formula, you are subtracting 1 from Max(Date).

QV doesn't understand meaning of this one. It also has to be in Date format.

Use following and make corresponding changes in your formula.

Date(Date(FromDate,'DD-MMM-YY')-DAY(2),'DD-MMM-YY')

If problem still persists, let me know. Share sample data if possible.

Happy Thoughts

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you Miguel A. Baeyens and ravi.sub8.

Now I understand it a litle more the fields returns a long number and not a data format and if I understand it correctly the DATE-function wil make it a useable date-field.

And I think I am almost there.

I tried what Miguel suggested :

COUNT ({$<[Picklisten.PickdatumDag]={'$(=DATE(MAX([Picklisten.PickdatumDag]-1))'}>} [Picklisten.Picklijstnummer])

But I think somthing is missing here. I think the first [Picklisten.PickdatumDag] should also be in a DATE-format, right?

So I tried the following:

COUNT( {$<'(=DATE([Picklisten.PickdatumDag])'={'$(=DATE(MAX([Picklisten.PickdatumDag]-1))'}>} [Picklisten.Picklijstnummer])

But this just returns "No Data To Display"

I must be doing something wrong with the $ < ' > "( ] or } right?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

Left and right parts of PickdatumDag should be in the same format. Usually, left part of equal in set analysis doesn't accept functions, just field names, so something like

COUNT( {$< [Picklisten.PickdatumDag] = {"=DATE([Picklisten.PickdatumDag]) = DATE(MAX([Picklisten.PickdatumDag]-1)))"}>} [Picklisten.Picklijstnummer])

or even

COUNT( {$< [Picklisten.PickdatumDag] = {"$(=MAX([Picklisten.PickdatumDag]-1))"}>} [Picklisten.Picklijstnummer])

Anyway, try a text object with

=MAX([Picklisten.PickdatumDag]-1)
and see if that returns a valid format comparable to [Picklisten.PickdatumDag]. If not, a date() conversion would be needed and I'd do that in the script rather than in the object.

Hope that helps.

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

You are correct that [Picklisten.PickdatumDag] should be in date format.

Unfortunately, the LHS of the set analysis expression has to be a field, it cannot be an expression.

One option would be to create a field like [Picklisten.Pickdatum] in your load script which would be in date format.

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks again Miguel,

Max ([Picklisten.PickdatumDag]-1) does not return a date but a long number.

But (like you an Jonathan suggested) in my loading script I already edit this.
I used this in the loading script:

Pickdatum,
Date(Pickdatum) as PickdatumDag,

Am I doing something wrong here?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

That's correct. Now check that PickdatumDag is actually your date format, so you can add days by doing (in a new text object)

=Date(PickdatumDag + 1)

and that it displays properly. You may need to format your date input, depending on the format you are pulling from the database, for example

Date(Date#(Pickdatum, 'DD-MM-YYYY hh:mm:ss')) AS Pickdatum

If you are using a date like "21-09-2010 00:30:00"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks again Miguel,

I think I now get how the DATE-function works .... almost

When I got to the table viewer and look at the content of the table (example) the field seems to have the right format ('DD-MM-YYYY hh:mm:ss') . Also when I use

=DATE([Picklisten.PickdatumDag]-1)

It returns the correct format ('DD-MM-YYYY hh:mm:ss')

So that seems to be solved.

But I still don't get the right resoled from the function so I gues I am doing something wrong there.
What I want is a count of the [Picklisten.Picklijstnummer] where the [Picklisten.PickdatumDag] is the same as the higest [Picklisten.PickdatumDag] minus 1, without making a selection.

When I use

COUNT( {$< [Picklisten.PickdatumDag] =

{"=DATE([Picklisten.PickdatumDag]) = DATE(MAX([Picklisten.PickdatumDag]-1))"}

>} [Picklisten.Picklijstnummer])

The result is 0. ??

I think there must be something wrong with the way I use the variable.
Because when I use

COUNT( {$< [Picklisten.PickdatumDag] =

{"=DATE(MAX([Picklisten.PickdatumDag]-1)) = DATE(MAX([Picklisten.PickdatumDag]-1))"}

>} [Picklisten.Picklijstnummer])

It does returns the total count of all [Picklisten.Picklijstnummer]. So the formule is not "wrong" It is just not right for what I am trying to do.