cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NickP_DF
Creator II
Creator II

Re: Change mousepointer shape during a macro

Well, It's a macro which sends a mail with an object attached...it takes several seconds to be completed and I'd like the user to be informed that he has to wait.

Note that the environment is Qlikview, not QlikSense; sorry for the missed information.

Thanks.

N.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

I doubt that there is an appropriate setting in QlikView else like the most tools it just used the OS settings. I could imagine that there are possibilities to access them with vb/vbs but it's probably not very trivial to change system-settings. If you want to investigate it further you should better take looks within the MS vb/vbs/vba communities.

An alternatively might be to inform the user with a shown text-box with an approximately execution-time (counting the number of rows/columns of the object and estimating how long it will take in average) and/or you could add some kind of counter with now() and/or even creating some kind of progress-bar (whereby I assume the probability to get it to work is rather low). 

- Marcus

View solution in original post

6 Replies
marcus_sommer

I doubt that there is an appropriate setting in QlikView else like the most tools it just used the OS settings. I could imagine that there are possibilities to access them with vb/vbs but it's probably not very trivial to change system-settings. If you want to investigate it further you should better take looks within the MS vb/vbs/vba communities.

An alternatively might be to inform the user with a shown text-box with an approximately execution-time (counting the number of rows/columns of the object and estimating how long it will take in average) and/or you could add some kind of counter with now() and/or even creating some kind of progress-bar (whereby I assume the probability to get it to work is rather low). 

- Marcus

NickP_DF
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Marcus,

it's a pleasure to meet you again 😊; in VB/VBA I can use the instruction Screen.MousePointer=vbHourGlass to change the mouse shape in waiting period and  Screen.MousePointer=vbNormal at the end, but with the QV macro language it doesn't work.

If no specific instruction will came, I'll get your suggest; thank you so much!

N.

marcus_sommer

The various vb##### like vbNormal are not the real parameter else just a string-replacement for a numeric index-value. I'm not sure if the (QlikView) implementation of vbs supports these strings. Therefore try it with these numeric values.

Another point in this regard are the loaded libraries. In vba they are mostly included with an early binding to benefit also from features like syntax-highlighting. Maybe here are some important libraries not included ...

- Marcus 

NickP_DF
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Marcus,

the constant for vbHourGlass is 11 but it doesn't work in QV macro, so I'd like to follow the second solution you posted (change the aspect of the button); would you mind to let me know where I can find the documentation about the QV Macro language, so that I can achieve it?  I wasn't able to find it in the community.

Thanks.

N. 

marcus_sommer

AFAIK there isn't much documentation else just a few sentences about vbs features which aren't supported in QlikView like a restricted error-handling - only err.number + err.description and on error resume next are supported. I assume you could find anywhere within the Qlik help but I don' think that it would be helpful for you. IMO the best approach to the capabilities with a lot of examples is a look into the APIGuide.qvw which you could find in your install-folder by automation.

The above mentioned early binding won't be available but maybe a late binding might be possible. I did this once or twice ages ago in vba but did not develop this stuff myself else just copy & paste it from any ms forum - which would be also my suggestion to investigate the matter. Possible in vbs, too and if taking a rather simple part within a dummy to check if it worked also within QlikView?

- Marcus

NickP_DF
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thank you, Marcus; I'll follow your suggestions. 🙂

N.