Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Re-use of complex labels in expressions

Hi all,

I have a question concerning the re-use of labels in an expression.

In the beginning my expression1 was just called "1-10" (1st till 10th day of the month).

In my expression2 I used this expression as:

=[1-10] + sum(Sales)

The label of expression1 got a lot more complicated and now also shows the number of work days in the period 1-10. My label now contains symbols as '&' and 'chr(10)' and such.

I can no longer use [1-10] but I have to refer to ['1-10' & chr10 & NetWorkDays(MakeDate)... & 'of ' & chr(10), ........] which does not work unfortunately.

Is there any way I can refer to this expression1, without having to use the complete and complex label? Can I write something in the label of expression1 like "[1-10 & chr(10) very complex label] as [1-10]" (the same way you do when you write your script). So I could still refer to it in expression2 as '[1-10] + sum(Sales)', but the result of the label of expression1 would still be shown as the long and complex label?

I hope my question is more or less understandable...

Thanks in advance anyway!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Good question.

As a workaround, you can use the Column() function to refer to a particular table column by index.(see Chart Inter Record functions in QV Desktop Help)

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Good question.

As a workaround, you can use the Column() function to refer to a particular table column by index.(see Chart Inter Record functions in QV Desktop Help)

avinashelite

could please share the sample app

raman_rastogi
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Use can use Column() function  .

Ex-

= Count( Emp_NO ) - Column(2)

marcus_sommer

If there is no need respectively likeliness in changing the column-order the suggestion from Peter is very easy. But could they be changed you need to refer by label and by them you need to use $-sign expansion. The following worked fine for me:

[$(='1 - 10' & ' / ' & today() & chr(10) & 'a')]

- Marcus

Kushal_Chawda

As Peter suggested, use Column() function  like column(3)  where 3 is your third expression in chart.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks a bunch guys! The Column() solution totally works!

The order of columns should stay the same, so guess I've got my answer thanks to this easy solution!