Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Recognizing multiple date formats withing a column

Hi ,

I have a table which consist of 10 columns ,out of which one is a date column and others are text and numeric fields,

I have written a code using TextCount and Numeric count, so as to identify  format of the column whether it contains numeric values, text values, or both . How can i modify the current script so that it can identify that column contains date format.

NumericCount($(vFieldName)) as NumericCount,

TextCount($(vFieldName)) as TextCount,

if(TextCount($(vFieldName)) >= 1 and NumericCount($(vFieldName)) >= 1, 'mixed',

if(TextCount($(vFieldName)) >= 1, 'string', 'numeric')) as Format,

I want to add something which can identify it contains date. like Function_date($(vFieldName))=output as yes or no for date

5 Replies
marcus_sommer

You could use the alt-function in a way like this:

alt(date#(date,'YYYY/MM/DD'), date#(date,'MM/DD/YYYY'), date#(date,'DD.MM.YY'),

'no valid date-format')

and/or

if(isnum(date) and date > 40000 and date < 44000, date, 'no date')

With the (bold) numbers you could specify the date-area which you are expect.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for replying.

So according to the code you mentioned , i need to have an idea about the distinct date formats present in my column, lets assume, i do not know before hand that what date formats are present in my data, i might have an idea about the date range of the data , ( I am loading the raw file directly into the Qlik View application)

what should i do in that case?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You should have an idea about the date formats that will be present in your data source. Otherwise you can never decide on dates like 2/5/2015 (5th of february or 2nd of may?)

marcus_sommer

Peter is right - you need a certain degree of knowledge about the data with whom you handled. You could of course extend the above mentioned checkings to further 10/20/... loops but in the end you will get blurring data without knowing the data-structure and data-quality. And are there any issues with them you should try to improve the quality and output from the source-data.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Peter and Marcus,

It was very helpful ,I would incorporate your Suggestion from now.

Thanks again.

Kaushal