Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Referencing columns from another table in a join

In my qlikview script I can't figure out how to reference a column from Table1 in the load for Table2 . Table1 is from a file and Table2 is in a database:

Table1:

Name ID Job

Alex 1 Technology

Sam 2 Bank

Jeff 3 Engineer

Table 2

ID JobDetail

1 ApplicationDevelopemnt

3 Structural

TableMain:

Load Name, ID, Job from file1.csv

Left Join(TableMain)

Load

ID,

If(isnull(JobDetail),Job,JobDetail) as JobDetail;

From SQL Select * from Table2;

This gives me an error saying Field not Found <Job>. I am guessing because job is from table1 and i am trying to use it in a load for table2. I am guessing I can load everything first into a temp table then reprocess that but that seems inefficient.

Thanks,

Alex

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Usually you join the tables first and then use the resident command to call the joined table again and do logic that needs columns from both tables.

But in your case you one of the tables has just 2 columns so you can do a mapping and save time. Look at the example below.

Table2:
Mapping Load ID,
JobDetail;

TableMain:
Load Name,
ID,
Job,
If(isnull(applymap('Table2',ID,null())),Job,applymap('Table2',ID,null())) as Job Detail
from file1.csv

Regards.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Usually you join the tables first and then use the resident command to call the joined table again and do logic that needs columns from both tables.

But in your case you one of the tables has just 2 columns so you can do a mapping and save time. Look at the example below.

Table2:
Mapping Load ID,
JobDetail;

TableMain:
Load Name,
ID,
Job,
If(isnull(applymap('Table2',ID,null())),Job,applymap('Table2',ID,null())) as Job Detail
from file1.csv

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

Ahh excellent. Thank you!