Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rebelfox
Creator
Creator

Reload Schedule Limit To Certain Times Of The Day

I have Qlikview report that reports from a legacy Iseries/AS400 database.

Users want the report updating regularly with updates which means I have set up a management console schedule to run every 30 minutes.  However there is no value in running from 7pm to 7am as there are no users to use it and worse still it can cause problems for the Iseries backup if a read lock is placed on files overnight.  Is there a way to set up a schedule to run the report every 30 minutes but within a time frame of 7am to 7pm?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
maxgro
MVP
MVP

Maybe: split the .qvw in 2 .qvw

The first one reads from AS400 and store in qvd files

The second (starts when the first finishes successful) reads the .qvd

Add an if to the first .qvw (check the time):

if time between 7 am and 7 pm

read and store in qvd

else (between 7 pm and 7 am)

do nothing (--> no AS400 read)

At the night, the second .qvw will run every 30 minutes but will read the 7 pm .qvd

View solution in original post

10 Replies
lironbaram
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

hi if you use

qlikview management console then you can only define one reload schedule to each app

and there is no way to prevent it from running all day

there are two ways to solve the issue

1. use qlikview publisher which will allow more advanced scheduling , this solution of course means you need to purchase a license .

2. you can create a very simple up the check the time of the day and if the time is in the time window it'll finish the load process ok either wise it'll fail

then in your qlikview management console define this up to load every 30 minutes and your actual app to run only if this app reload is successful , by this method it means that half of the day when entering the qmc you'll see an app that failed to load

Not applicable

Hi Roy,

The technique that roiuser‌ has mentioned is the best solution without publisher.

I am using the same technique as we don't have publisher.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If you don't like the spamming caused by all those reload failures outside of the 7am-to-7pm window, you could consider a third alternative: Windows Task Scheduler pinches tasks that - using QMSEDX Enhanced | Qlik Community - are triggered "by an external event". Almost Publisher-like scheduling flexibility, but no more configuring schedules inside the QMC.

IMHO a Publisher license is the best solution to create complex task dependencies and schedules. Keep this in mind when facing even more complex scheduling/distribution requests from your end-users in the future.

Best,

Peter

maxgro
MVP
MVP

Maybe: split the .qvw in 2 .qvw

The first one reads from AS400 and store in qvd files

The second (starts when the first finishes successful) reads the .qvd

Add an if to the first .qvw (check the time):

if time between 7 am and 7 pm

read and store in qvd

else (between 7 pm and 7 am)

do nothing (--> no AS400 read)

At the night, the second .qvw will run every 30 minutes but will read the 7 pm .qvd

rebelfox
Creator
Creator
Author

Do you have a link for this solution?

Thanks

Roy

rebelfox
Creator
Creator
Author

Yes that's a good idea.

Thanks.

Not applicable

Hi Roy,

I don't have a link but I can guide you based on what I have done in the past..

1. Create a QVW Application and name it QVD Generator (This application's job is to only generate QVD files)
  2. Add if else statement in the connection string of that application as maxgro‌ has mentioned.
  3. Make this QVD Generator to reload every 30 minutes.
  4. Then make all your other QVW Applications to reload only if that QVD Generator application reload task is successful.

Hope it helps.

rebelfox
Creator
Creator
Author

Very much thankyou.

rebelfox
Creator
Creator
Author

This is the one I found most suitable on balance.

Thanks.