Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chaper
Creator III
Creator III

Rolling 3 month Avg for latest month -RangeAvg()

I am trying to get the Sliding/Moving/Rolling 3 Month Avg of latest month.When I use rangeavg (above(field,1,3)) in a straight table i am getting correct values for all months.But when I try to get  Rolling 3 Month Avg of latest month only for ex:Aug 15 into a variable using same expression then it is not working as in Straight table .Even if I manually enter/select the Month in the RangeAvg expression it is not working.Need help in getting Rolling 3 Month Avg of latest month in a variable??

Thanks

Chaiperi

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Chaiperi, the 'above' function will not work in a variable as there are no grouped above lines the variable can use.

rangeavg uses a list of values so you just have to get each of the last three months into the array to perform the calculation.

So rangeavg(sum({<Month = {1}>}Amount),sum({<Month = {2}>}Amount),sum({<Month = {3}>}Amount)) will work. You can use the inmonth function to calculate the last three months automatically. I can send more details on this if required.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Chaiperi, the 'above' function will not work in a variable as there are no grouped above lines the variable can use.

rangeavg uses a list of values so you just have to get each of the last three months into the array to perform the calculation.

So rangeavg(sum({<Month = {1}>}Amount),sum({<Month = {2}>}Amount),sum({<Month = {3}>}Amount)) will work. You can use the inmonth function to calculate the last three months automatically. I can send more details on this if required.

Hope this helps.

Digvijay_Singh

Check this out, it is showing same value, see if you can make out what different you are doing..

Digvijay_Singh

I might misunderstood the problem

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Perhaps this document helps: Calculating rolling n-period totals, averages or other aggregations

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
chaper
Creator III
Creator III
Author

thanks for the reply.Can you send  more details ???

chaper
Creator III
Creator III
Author

thanks for reply.In my case I am using rangeavg (above(Sales,1,3)) instead of rangeavg (above(Sales,0,3)).If I use rangeavg (above(Sales,1,3))  it shows null in variable

Digvijay_Singh

Are you ok with the results of rangeavg (above(Sales,1,3)), I think that would start from previous record upward, 0 will start from current row. First let us know if your real problem is something what I understood or what chaiperi understood. I suggest go through the link gwassenaar‌ for complete understanding of rolling totals.

Digvijay_Singh

Sorry, I meant for Jeremy123‌ in my previous post while asking for clarification, wrong address copied.

Anonymous
Not applicable

For sure so have a look at the inmonth or inmonthtodate functions. The definition is as follows:-

InMonth (date, basedate , shift)

• date is the field in your data.
  • basedate is the date (usually entered using a function like today() or entered through a variable) for which you want to find the information for. So use today's date there to get an answer of true for all of the days in this month.
  • shift you can use it to find a different month (-1 will be one month prior to the date you are using in basedate).

The function returns a value of -1 where the values are in the month.

So your rangeavg for the 3 month rolling could work like.:-

rangeavg(sum(-InMonth ([date], today() , 0) *Amount),sum(-InMonth ([date], today() , -1) *Amount),sum(-InMonth ([date], today() , -2) *Amount))

I find this function really helpful.

An alternative to all this is to build a latest 3 month special period into your calendar which will be a fantastic solution too.