Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Rolling sums vs weekly sums

I am looking to compare 2 separate years of data, 2015 and 2016 with numerical values in a line chart.

The issue i'm running into is that 2015 data is separated out with unique values for that a particular week.  2016 data (thus far) is a rolling sum of all the numerical values.

For ease, i'll assume that the data values should be identical, and this table is to show how the data is tabulated.

The 2016 rolling sum adds all values from the previous week.  So week 3 would equal 2016 Weekly 1, 2, and 3.

WeekNo2015 Weekly2016 Weekly2016 Rolling sum

Any thoughts on how to display a comparison between 2015 weekly and 2016 weekly (non existent data table) or, changing the 2015 weekly data into a 2015 Rolling sum?

6 Replies
sunny_talwar

The above data seems to be how you are planning to have it on the front end, right? Would you be able to provide raw data so that we can look at how the data is coming and propose a method to do what you are trying to do.

NOTE: This is this method i plan to try first, in case you want to give it a try -> The As-Of Table

Not applicable
Author

I'm planning to display the data.  As for raw data, the 2016 raw data is concatenated to a master table on a weekly basis with approx 265K rows, which i cannot supply.

On the front end, the goal is a line graph that would display rolling sum data for both years, the 2016 data set is already in that format, and the 2015 data is not. 

I'll check out the As-Of table!  Thanks!

sunny_talwar

I am not seeking all the data. A small sample that mimics the actual data so that I can show what I am trying to show

Not applicable
Author

Attached is an example of the data set.  It is a sum of sales with Week # and Fiscal Year as the dimensions.

The end result i'm looking for is a line graph to show the YTD sales.

2016 is a rolling sum in it of itself, whereas 2015 are unique values for that week.

sunny_talwar

I am still not sure I understand your data, would you be able to share your application? May be look at the following link if you are concerned about the confidentiality of the data

Preparing examples for Upload - Reduction and Data Scrambling

Not applicable
Author

I appreciate your willingness to aid me in this problem, but i found that if i just use a full accumulation in the expression tab of the chart properties , it manipulates the data in a way that is presentable.