Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Round up date calculation to whole number (for text objects)

I created a variable with the below formula: =vTotalWeeks

=(Date#([Project End Date], 'MMM DD, YYYY') - Date#([Project Start Date], 'MMM DD, YYYY')) / 7

It calculates correctly, but I need this to always round up to the next highest integer. So, 8.642343 should become 9.

Note: I am using text objects so I can't leverage the Number tab of a chart object.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

Try the Ceil() function

=Ceil((Date#([Project End Date], 'MMM DD, YYYY') - Date#([Project Start Date], 'MMM DD, YYYY')) / 7)

View solution in original post

11 Replies
sunny_talwar

Try the Ceil() function

=Ceil((Date#([Project End Date], 'MMM DD, YYYY') - Date#([Project Start Date], 'MMM DD, YYYY')) / 7)

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Sunny this worked. Just one more follow up if i could.

I added another formula: =vWeeksConsumed / vTotalWeeks

This is made up of the below formula. I need this to return % with 2 decimals. 54.95% for example.

=([Week End] - [Project Start Date]) / ([Project End Date] - [Project Start Date])

Thanks again for your help

sunny_talwar

You want still round it up??

If yes, then try:

=Num(Ceil(([Week End] - [Project Start Date]) / ([Project End Date] - [Project Start Date]), 0.01), '##.00%')

or

=Num(Round(([Week End] - [Project Start Date]) / ([Project End Date] - [Project Start Date]), 0.01), '##.00%')

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Sunny. I ended up going with the below....your advice was helpful!!

=num(($(=$(vWeeksConsumed)) / num(vTotalWeeks)),'##.00%')

sunny_talwar

Great, as long as I am helpful

Not applicable
Author

Hi Sunny, if you are still available I had one follow up to this direct item.

This formula is working most of the times, but I have encountered an issue where I believe I need to amend this.

I have an example where Project Start Date = 10/26/15 and Project End Date = 11/30/15....This works out to 36 days which divided by 7 = 5.14. This formula is returning 5 and for my purposes, I need it return 6 weeks.

Do you have any suggestions to accomodate?

sunny_talwar

Ceil usually takes it to the next nearest integer So something like this Ceil(36/7) = 6.  Is it not doing that?

Not applicable
Author

Not sure if you can see the snapshot below but the Total Weeks is returning 5 for this project and I was expecting 6 [36 / 7]. This in turn impacts the % Weeks Consumed and Remaining which are referencing this formula (variable).

I have reviewed a ton of info on the community especially around date calculations and just can't figure this one out.

One other question if I could. Below for % Budget Remaining, my output is .802943....I need this to be 80.29%. This is my first time trying the below type formula; I obviously have something just slightly wrong for it not to respect the ##.00%. Again, any advice is appreciated. You've been very helpful!

=1.00 - (num($(=$(vActualRev)) / sum([Original Rev Est]),'##.00%'))

qv app.png

sunny_talwar

Can you check what you get when you do a simple Subtraction of the two dates:

Num(Date#([Project End Date], 'MMM DD, YYYY') - Date#([Project Start Date], 'MMM DD, YYYY')), '#,##0.000000')

I have a feeling that this might give you 35 or less than 35. I think once we know what we are getting, we might need to add a 1 here to make sure we get the right number we are hoping for:

=Ceil((Date#([Project End Date], 'MMM DD, YYYY') - Date#([Project Start Date], 'MMM DD, YYYY') + 1) / 7)

But this is pure speculation right now and will have to be tested out.

Let me know what you get and we can proceed from there.

Best,

Sunny