Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Script Editor Improvements

I'm new on QlikView Development.

Besides it's a fantastic sofware, I was wonder if you miss some features in script editor, like vertical selections or Graphic interface.

When we have complexes scripts, it's difficult to find and mantain the code.

So, I think we have to discuss the prior improvements we need (want/ desire) in the editor.

Thanks All

Savio.

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Savio,
I think there are no responses so far because the developers are satisfied with the current situation. My advices:
- Use script tabs;
- use some reasonable (for you) rules to keep script in order;
- use a lot of comments.

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Many times I wish we had vertical selections (if we mean the same things by that) - the ability to select a "rectangle", instead of the whole lines, to copy and paste, but overall the editor is pretty good. Visual Interface - probably no, otherwise it'd be too much like BO, and we certainly don't need that.

I knoe that QlikCommunity team is working on testing an "Ideas exchange" where anyone could post ideas for improvement and people could vote on ideas... Once it's up and running, make sure to add your ideas there. We want everyboe's voice toe be heard!

cheers,

Oleg

Not applicable
Author

In general I am happy with the script editor. I do sometimes wish I could use CTRL_PgUP / CTRL_PgDn to move between tabs, but that is really trivial.

I find that when I have developed a script, I can print it to a PDF (install the QlikView PDF print driver if you do not have one), then cut and paste from previous PDF documents if required in a new script. I also use PSPAD (free) as an editor; it has vertical selections for cut and paste and replace, and indent controls, so I can cut and paste between editors as required.

I do not think the editor should get too much functionality that is rarely used as that just asks for more bugs.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi ivang,

One method I use occasionally is to use a text editor I like and do all the editing there and then use Include in the QV script to include the script from my text file. This way I don't have to do any copy pasting and I can edit the script in any text editor.