Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neha_sharma1275
Contributor II
Contributor II

Search Object Optimization

Hi All,

I am creating a simple dashboard, which fetches some 153000 records. Now there is a Search Object in which User wants to search by typing and pressing ENTER(from keyboard). For example if users type "VALVE" and press enter they should get all th results from the dashboard where "VALVE" keyword appears. So I created a field which is resulted from concatenation of about 100 fields to get this kind of Search. However when the uers start typing , say after typing Val... there is a delay of some 10 seconds which they want to be performance tuned. Like the moment they type "VALVE" immediately they want to see the results. How can I achieve this?

Help appreciated!

Thanks,

Neha

6 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You can optimize the search object by including only specific fields. 

Why are you concatenating the 100 fields?  Why not list all 100 fields in the Search Object?

(You do mean a Search Object, not a listbox, correct?)

-Rob

http://masterssummit.com

http://qlikviewcookbook.com

neha_sharma1275
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the response. This is a dashboard designed by some other developer. They have concatenated 100 fields because these are all string fields and as I said in my original question, the requirement is that when the usr types some keyword e.g. 'Valve' and press "ENTER" they want to see all possible results. To enable this, they have concatenated all the string fields and called it a Search Field.Also it's a wildcard search,

So it's like FIeld1| Field2 | Field3 |....... and so on named as [Search Field]

Can this be achieved in any other way With Performance being optimized without any delay in loading results while user types a search string?

and Yes, It's a Search Object not a List Box

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Does it perform any better if you put the field in a listbox?

-Rob

neha_sharma1275
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

It's kind of pretty same in terms of performance when kept in a list box too.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Are the users searching for just one term between the | |? If so, you might try loading just the individual field values to a field and then link that field using whatever key you are currently using.  That might make for a very long table, but the symbol table to be searched would be much smaller and result in a faster search.

If the terms table gets too large, you might try using the concat technique but concatenate smaller groups, say 5 or 10 fields.

-Rob

neha_sharma1275
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Rob,

They are searching for different strings present in all the fields. I did not understand what exactly you told in above comment.

But the search is always a different string.