Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Set Analysis - All but the max date.

Hi Everyone,

I want to do analysis in charts using two expressions comparing the entire data set to the data set minus those where in the most recent entry date. I've come up with an overly complicated way and was wondering if there was a simple one.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks,
Rebecca

8 Replies
MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

Can you share some sample data or apps?

Not applicable
Author

The data I'm working with is quite large so it wouldn't be practical to attach it. But here I can show a mini example of what I want to do.

EntryDate

SalesASalesB
1/1/201424
1/1/2014105
2/1/201412
2/1/201423
2/1/201424
3/1/201412
3/1/201413

And this is what I want to create - where these are means of SalesA/SalesB.

QVExample.png

MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

How you got A and B here?

What is the Logic you have used to get above two bars?

Not applicable
Author

The blue bar for A is the average of the entire column Sales A, while the red bar for A is the entire column minus the last two lines which have the max(EntryDate). Similarily, for B but with the SalesB column.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jaro,

Assuming Date and A/B are your chart dimensions, your expression for all dates would simply be sum(Sales).  Your expression for all dates excluding the max date would look something like: =sum( {<Date = {"<$(vMaxDate)"}>}  Sales), where vMaxDate = max(Date) or max({1}Date)

If you post your actual expression, we may be able to help you a little more with the syntax.

Regards,
Sean

Not applicable
Author

I tried that, but I'm getting 0 for all values.

Here is my expression:

Count( {<defdtentry = {"<$(MaxDefDtentry)"}>}  distinct CN)

Any ideas?

MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

Script.

CrossTable(Type,Sales)

Load 

Date(Date#(EntryDate,'D/M/YYYY')) as EntryDate,

SalesA,

SalesB

Inline

[

EntryDate,SalesA, SalesB

1/1/2014, 2, 4

1/1/2014, 10, 5

2/1/2014, 1, 2

2/1/2014, 2, 3

2/1/2014, 2, 4

3/1/2014, 1, 2

3/1/2014, 1, 3

];

Create Straight Table

Dimension = Type

Expression

Average Sales

SUM(Sales)/COUNT(Sales)

Average Sales without Max EntryDate

SUM({<EntryDate -= {'$(=Max(EntryDate))'}>}Sales)/COUNT({<EntryDate -= {'$(=Max(EntryDate))'}>}Sales)

Average Sales For Max EntryDate

SUM({<EntryDate = {'$(=Max(EntryDate))'}>}Sales)/COUNT({<EntryDate = {'$(=Max(EntryDate))'}>}Sales)

Not applicable
Author

What is the value of MaxDefDtentry in variable overview?  Given your expression above, MaxDefDtentry should include an "=" in the variable definition. A dollar expansion is done before the expression is evaluated, and in this case without the "=" in the value of the variable the expression is trying to return the distinct count of CN where defdtentry is less than 'some text' rather than the value of the max date.

You can also try: Count( {<defdtentry = {"<$(=Max(defdtentry))"}>}  distinct CN)